This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Placing a Letterbox in Beautiful Country

We are in Tuscany and having a fantastic time. The countryside is so beautiful and I am enjoying every minute of it. Today we visited a winery – Castello di Verrazzano in Greve in Chianti. After that we drove over to San Gimignano for the afternoon. I had carved a stamp that is a collage of Italy (it has the outline of the country with a gondola, the colosseum, wine & grapes, the word Italy and the flag). When I was searching for a name for the box I looked at a lot of information about Italy and eventually came across the following phrase – “Bel Paese” – this means beautiful country.
View from San Gimignano
And since everything I had read about the Tuscan area of Italy suggested that this part of the country was so beautiful I decided this box had to be somewhere in Tuscany.

We had about one and a half hours to wander in San Gimignano but my priority was to find a place to hide my letterbox – Bel Paese. Thomas and I decided to head up to one of the highest points of town (the town is built on a hill). So we made our way to the Rocca di Montestaffoli and walked around the ruins and climbed an observation tower to get some incredible views of the Tuscan countryside around San Gimignano. We descended the tower and walked around the little park area and eventually found a nice spot for the box. So if you are ever in San Gimignano find my box and then climb the observation tower to see this ‘bel paese’. You can read more about the winery and San Gimignano at Wine and Towers or you can read about the entire trip at Viva Italia Letterboxing Tour.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails