This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Driving and Letterboxing

For the past week or so I have been going through all the clues for boxes in New Mexico and then mapping them out and planning for some trips when I have time. I have gotten some boxes in and around the Santa Fe area but the ones I have left are further away and will take at least a full day to go and find them. So I had put the clues aside waiting for a free day. Well today was that day. I was scheduled for work but I got a call that they didn't need me today so I that meant I had a fee day.
Tucumcari Veterans Memorial

I quickly got my letterboxing stuff together and grabbed the clues and headed out for a day of driving and letterboxing. I got on I25 and headed north and then took US285 south to I40 east. Once on I40 I drove to exit 251 - a rest area a few miles west of Santa Rosa. I pulled in and parked where the clues directed me. There were no other cars in the area and I parked in such a way that my car blocked the view from the bathroom area and I was free to grab the box - Letterbox the States: New Mexico that was planted by 2-2 Wheelers. I stamped in while sitting in the car and then replaced the box. Now to continue onward. I got back on I40 headed east and made my way to Tucumcari. I took the first exit and drove to the intersection of 3rd and Main to a small Veterans Memorial Park. The entire area was deserted. The entire time I was there I didn't see one car or one person. I parked and followed the clues and quickly found the box - Veterans Memorial: Tucumcari placed by trilla marion. I took it to a picnic table to stamp in. When I was done I put the box back in place and returned to my car. I decided to find something for lunch before leaving town. I stopped at McDonald's and grabbed some fries and a drink and decided to eat while driving. I took NM209 south and the took NM268 south and ended up in Melrose. I turned onto US60 and headed west. Just before arriving in Fort Sumner I turned onto Billy the Kid Road and headed south. About three miles or so I entered the Bosque Redondo State Monument. I paid the fee and got an audio tour radio and headed out back to the trails. I followed the numbers on the path and listened to the tour. I took a break when I got to the number in the clue for Wronghat's box - Sojourn. I found the box easily and stamped in at a nearby picnic table. After replacing the box I finished the audio tour and when I was done with that I walked the nature trail along the Pecos River. Then I went back inside the building and walked through the exhibits (they are still working on the displays). I really enjoyed the tour and found all the information fascinating even though it was a pretty horrific account of our history. After about an hour here it was time to move on. I made my way back to US60 and continued west. I made a quick stop at Yeso (a ghost town) and took a few pictures. Then I continued on to US285 where I headed north in Vaughn. I stopped at Huntsinger park to find Wronghat's Canine Constable box. This box is based on this story. The park was empty but the highway is right there so when I located the hiding spot of the box I looked to see if there were any cars and when the coast was clear I grabbed the box.
Windmill off of US60 near Yeso
I walked to a picnic table and realized I was being followed by a cute little dog. I really hoped this wasn't the Canine Constable of Vaughn - I really didn't want to be arrested by a dog and spend time in a Vaughn jail. Anyway, the dog followed me to the table and ended up sitting on the bench next to me while I stamp in. I think he was hoping I had some food but I was empty handed - but he just sat there and watched me. He followed me back to the boxes hiding spot and watched while I hid it and then he followed me to the car. I petted him and thanked him for watching over me while I stamped and then I left the park.

Once back on US285 I continued north through Encino, Clines Corners and back to I25. I headed south on I25 and returned home. I had a great time driving and letterboxing today in New Mexico. The weather was beautiful and I got to see some new things and visit some new places. Thanks to all who placed boxes - it really made my day.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails