This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Letterboxing On and Near I25

This morning was a bit colder than we have been experiencing but that didn't change my mind to go out and do a little letterboxing. I had clues for two boxes - one planted back in early September and the other planted just yesterday. Both boxes are planted just off I25 - one a little further off than the other. I gathered my clues and supplies and drove off to find these boxes.
Old La Bajada Hill Postcard
First, I headed south on I25 from Santa Fe and once I was at the bottom of La Bajada Hill (the I25 hill) I exited at #264 to Highway 16 and headed toward Cochiti. A mere three and a half miles down the road I turned right on the road to Tetilla Peak. This road is closed in winter and there is a gate across the road. When I arrived at the gate I turned right onto a dirt road. I followed it for a short way and when it made a sharp right turn there was an old road headed off to the left and just a few yards more there was an area to park on the left. So I parked there and followed the clues to find Old La Bajada Hill. I walked up the road and hill looking for the landmarks. When I got to the spot I looked for the box but was having trouble. So I went back a few landmarks and tried again. I ended up in the same place and still no box. So I looked for another cholla close by and that is where I found the box. I guess my steps are a little bigger that Agent 86's. I found a good spot to sit and stamp in and then I replaced the box. After hiding the box I went ahead and walked a little further up the road and then returned to my car to go for the next box.
Map of La Bajada Hill
Once I was back on I25 I headed north passing Santa Fe and Pecos. I drove to mile marker 324 and just after that exited at a rest stop. Just a little area off the interstate with a few trees and nothing else. No tables, no bathrooms and no trash cans. When I parked there was one other car there and the occupants were walking their dogs. I waited until they were done and gone and then I got out of my car and followed the clues to the box. I found Las Vegas hidden in a tree - I grabbed it and then returned to my car to stamp in. This box was placed by Krickster and I now had found all seven boxes that she hid while on her visit to New Mexico. I stamped in and then rehid the box making sure it was well hidden. Then I returned to the car and headed back to Santa Fe. I had to go another three miles north to an exit where I could turn around to head south.

When I got to the Pecos/Glorieta exit I decided to stop and check on a box I have planted in the area. So I made my way to the pullout with the marker for the Battle of Glorieta and parked. I walked the short distance to where the box was hidden and found it right where it was supposed to be. Everything was in place and the logbook still has plenty of room for people to stamp in. I put the box back in place and then made my way home. It was a beautiful day to do a little letterboxing off I25.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails