This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Fantastic Day in Taos

For the past few months we have been really busy. Between work, out of town visitors, a big trip and getting ready for the holidays I haven't had much time for just taking a day to relax. I had clues for some letterboxes in Taos and wanted to take a road trip to find them but never could take that much time. On Saturday I was cleaning the house and found the clues sitting on my desk and I planned to take a drive today. I got my letterboxing stuff and other things together on Saturday and mapped out the clues - essentially I was ready by Saturday afternoon.

View from rest stop on US 68
So this morning I got up and got some things done around the house and around 7:30am I was on the road. It was a great drive (I always love this drive - well once I am past Espanola) and not much traffic. Along the way I stopped a couple of times just to look at the river and enjoy the views. Then I made a stop at the Rio Grande Gorge Visitors Center just to check it out. I got back in my car and read my clues and the first box I wanted to look for wasn't too far up the road. So I drove looking for the landmarks and turned into the Rio Grande Gorge Recreation Area/Taos Valley Overlook and parked. I then followed the clues and came up empty handed. I kept trying and spent about 25 minutes before I gave up, leaving the area empty handed. I finished my drive to Taos and stopped at the Visitors Center to get a map. I made my first stop in Taos at the Unicorn School Supply and Stationery. I went in to get the Taos Unicorn letterbox. When I entered I asked for the box and then remembered I was supposed to say "How's your sweet sis?" so that is what I did. The woman at the counter gave me the box and I stamped in while we had a great little conversation. I then looked around the store and bought a few things before thanking the woman and leaving. I then drove to the downtown area and I parked at the intersection of Quesnel Street and Kit Carson Road. Then I walked up Quesnel and made my way to Ledoux Street. At the beginning of the street I found my first box in a series. The series is Taos, NM . . . My Hometown by Krickster. Now this is the same series that the box I looked for on my drive into Taos is in. So I was actually finding the second box in the series. I nabbed the box and sat on a low wall to stamp in. This box is called Ledoux Street. After stamping in and returning the box to its hiding spot I continued to walk up Ledoux Street and about halfway up I found the third box in the series - Taos - hidden cleverly on a street sign. I took the box across the street and sat next to a wall and stamped in. I rehid the box and then headed to the Plaza area. I stopped into a few shops and then made my way to the corner of Kit Carson Road and Morada Lane.
Beautiful Turquoise Truck
Here I found Zia! - the fourth box in the series. I stamped in and put the box back in its hiding spot and then realized that I was parked just across the street. So I walked to the car and read the clue for the fifth box. I had to drive just north of town to a small cemetery that is set back a little from the road. I drove in and followed the clues and found the right landmark and parked. I then followed the rest of the clues and easily found the box. I returned to my car to stamp in. I was the first finder on this box (the other four boxes that I found in town had been found already by Astro D and the Great Wuga Wuga). I then rehid the box and then went to find some lunch.

Now that I was finished with finding all the boxes in town and my tummy was full I decided it was time to head back to Santa Fe. As I drove I kept thinking of the one box that eluded me. I just knew it had to be there. So I returned to the Rio Grande Gorge Recreation Area/Taos Valley Overlook and parked, again. I stood at the fence where the trail began and read the clues. I took out my compass and tried to figure out what I did wrong earlier. For some reason my compass and the compass directions didn't match (I need to test my compass - it may be wonky). But I read all of the clue and decided that I needed to take the trail to the right (there is a trail to the left and one that goes straight ahead). I counted my steps and when I stopped there were no trees on my right. There were a couple of trees about 25 steps ahead of me but they were on the left and there were two trees behind me about 10 steps. I decided those were the ones I needed. I read the clue again and looked around the two trees for a SPOR - nothing. I saw a couple of trees off the trail aways and decided that couldn't be them (and I did look around them earlier) so I decided that the small pine tree right next to the trail was where the box was supposed to be. Finally I noticed a couple of small rocks next to some dead branches (which turned out to be a dead tree or bush) and one loose piece of wood. I moved the wood and rocks and 'Violá!' there was the box - it was really hidden well. WooHoo! - I turned out to be the first finder on this box. I ended up sitting just off the trail to stamp in. I put the box back into place and made sure it was hidden just as well and then returned to my car.

The drive back to Santa Fe was really enjoyable and I was happy that I found all the boxes I set out to find. I had a great time in Taos and with the drive - it was a perfect way to spend the day. Thanks Krickster for planting these boxes during you visit to your hometown.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails