This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Monday, October 10, 2011

A Little Box Maintenance and Catching a Wave

All summer long I have wanted to hike the Hyde Park Circle Trail and check on my Land of Enchantment Series but there was always something stopping me. The boxes had been found this summer but I still felt the need to do a little maintenance. Well this morning Thomas and I got up early and headed to Hyde Memorial State Park. It was a chilly fall morning but I was loving it. A couple of days ago we got some snow in the mountains and I was hoping most of it was gone on the trail so we would have a nice hike. So we made the four and a half mile hike and checked on all nine of the boxes. I made sure everything was dry and that all the bags were sealed well and the boxes closed tightly. I also needed to add some map cards and post cards in the first box. The trail was pretty clear except in the really shady areas where the snow was lingering - fortunately it was only a light covering and we had no problem maneuvering the trail. By the time we got to the top (which is about the half way mark and is about 9200 feet elevation - a 1000 foot change from the trailhead) we took a break and had a little snack. The rest of the hike is all down hill or pretty much level. We made it back to the car and I had gotten all the boxes really well sealed and hidden. I also went over my notes so that I could tweak the clues once we got home. Now we headed back down Hyde Park Road.

Before we headed home we decided to look for a letterbox. This letterbox - Catch a Wave in Santa Fe - is one of four letterboxes associated with Death by Kindle. This is a new murder mystery, set in Santa Fe, with 'clues' planted as real letterboxes around town. I had found one of the four boxes - Read or Be Read - back in June, you can read about that one at I 'Read' Today. I didn't know about this Death by Kindle at the time so the person I thought was Postal, wasn't. Anyway, we made our way to the location and it didn't take long to find the box. I stamped in and then rehid the box. Thomas and I had a great morning hiking and letterboxing - now isn't this a great way to spend a Monday morning - much better than working.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails