This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Monday, December 03, 2012

White Rock, Los Alamos and the Jemez Mountain Trail

I have been working a lot lately and I decided a couple of days ago that I needed a day away to drive and letterbox. So I looked up some clues and decided to hunt for boxes in White Rock, Los Alamos and along the Jemez Mountain Trail. I figured I could do all these in a day. I had clues for 15 boxes. Last night I got my letterbox stuff and my camera ready and I also packed some snacks. So this morning I just needed to load the car and get some water and coffee and I was ready to go.
White Rock Canyon

I left the house around 6:35am and headed for White Rock. I left the house early enough that I didn't meet any traffic. I arrived at my first stop around 7:20am. This was at Overlook Park. I parked at the back of the park near the overlook. The clues said to walk from your car to overlook point with the blue railing and just before entering turn left and follow the small trail that leads to the tip of the ridge. So I did just that scrambling over some rocks and making my way along the ridge in the direction of Black Mesa. Then the clues stated that when you got to the last rock outcropping that you had to look at the base of a large flat lava rock that sticks up in your path. At first I thought that the person who wrote the clues was crazy - there are rocks sticking up all over the place. So I just stood there for a minute and assessed the area.
Black Mesa
I then choose the most likely spot and looked there. Thankfully I found the box on the first try because I was seriously tired of climbing over rocks. I found a nice flat spot to sit and stamp in. I was the first finder of the Venom Overlook box placed by angel77ra. I replaced the box and retraced my steps back to the car. During my walk along the ridge I took quite a few pictures and enjoyed the wonderful views of Black Mesa and White Rock Canyon. It was a fantastic way to start the day, a quiet walk along a ridge with amazing views - I highly recommend it.

So I left Overlook Park and White Rock for the thriving metropolis of Los Alamos. As I drove into Los Alamos I stopped at Fuller Lodge to find Off With Their Head! by angel77ra. There were three people just hovering around the area so I took out my camera and walked around and took a few pictures until they all left. I had scoped out where the box was hidden and when the coast was clear I nabbed it and then took it to a bench to stamp in. I loved the stamp and enjoyed the area. After rehiding the box I returned to my car to continue my letterboxing. I drove around Pueblo Canyon on Diamond Dr. to N. Mesa Rd. and made my way to North Mesa Picnic Grounds. I found the last picnic table in the area and parked. I followed the clues and in no time I found Where There is Smoke There is . . . by angel77ra. The area was so quiet and I sat on a flat rock and stamped in and just enjoyed the morning. I then replaced the box and returned to my car. My next stop wasn't too far from the picnic area so I drove the short distance to the intersection of Arizona and 45th and parked at the Mitchell Trail Head.
View on the Mitchell Trail
I was on the hunt for a letterbox/geocache hybrid called Mitchell Trail OHV. I followed the clues (or hints) from the geocaching website and that got me close to the box. I didn't have a gps to use the coordinates so I read more of the hints and then did some searching and after about 15 minutes I found the box. I stamped in and then put the box back in place. Once back at the car I drove to the Quezamon Trail Head off of Trinity and 48th. I parked and followed the clues and in a short time I found Choose Your Poison. I sat and stamped in and enjoyed the quiet. For most of my time out letterboxing this morning I was pretty much alone - the only time I saw anyone was at Fuller Lodge - and I have to say I was enjoying the solitude. After putting the poison back I read the clues for another box in the area. This one being on a much longer hike. The box I was going to look for was Demise of Jabberwock. From Choose Your Poison I had to make my way to a water tower and a green gate. Once there I had to follow a faint trailto the right. This trail took me down into a small canyon and then up the other side. Once out of the canyon I was to turn left and follow the trail to another water tower. Unfortunately I never made it to another water tower. I was just walking along following a trail and going further up. Eventually I noticed a water tower down and to my right. So I figured I was way off from meeting up with the other landmarks of the clues. At tthis point I was feeling really confused and decided to scrap looking for this box. I turned around and retraced my steps back to my car. I will have to return another time for this box. Now I had one more box in Los Alamos to find before heading up NM4. I drove to Camp May Road and followed it up to the Pajarito Ski Area (well really a short distance from the area) and parked near a red gate. I followed the clues and in no time I found I'm Late, I'm Late For a Very Important Date! hidden just a little ways from the gate. I quickly stamped in and put the box back in its hiding spot. I was done with the list of boxes in Los Alamos and it was time for my drive to Jemez Springs.

I drove along NM4 just enjoying the views and a little past the Valles Cadera I pulled over into a small parking area for the East Fork Trail #121. Following the clues I walked the short distance up the trail until I came to a large, flat rock on my left. I found Lion on the Valles hidden under this rock. I used the rock to sit and stamp into the box and I noticed a great view of the Valles Caldera just in front of me. So after replacing the box I walked a little closer and took some pictures before heading back to the car. Moving on I drove along NM4 until I arrived at the junction of NM126. I turned here and drove past the San Antonio campground and parked in a pull out on the right side of the road. I got out of the car and went in search of the San Antonio letterbox. I followed the clues and searched all over the place but was having no luck. I kept returning to the starting point and trying again. After about 20 minutes I decided I was not going to find the box on this outing and called it quits. (As a side note, now that I am home I think I know where to look next time I am out there).
View along FR376
From here I decided to go to FR376 and look for the Porter Trio letterbox. I had to get to the third widest brigde near mile marker 11. I drove and counted bridges and I only saw one and that one was more closer to mile marker 13. I pulled over and looked around but the rest of the clues didn't make sense. So I continued my drive to mile marker 11 - there was no brigde around.  I drove a little further but didn't find a bridge. And since the day was getting away from me and I still had a few other boxes to look for I decided to turn around and head back to NM4. Even though this little side trip netted me no boxes I really enjoyed the drive - it was absolutely beautiful. (Another side note: I think I needed to go a little further than I did to reach the next bridge - I turned around too early). Back on NM4 I drove to the parking area for Soda Dam. The place was deserted. No other cars and no other people. I got out of the car and crossed the street to the dam and followed the clues to the top.
Soda Dam
I walked along the the top until I reached the landmark and then I made my way down to the river. I searched the area but never found the box. I am not sure if I was in the wrong place or if the box is missing since the clues to look for the box state "When you reach the great root, turn left and search within the rock wall before you, one of these things is not like the other." Well, the rock wall is pretty big and I was a little confused as to what wasn't like the other. So I didn't find Bread Box but I did get to explore around Soda Dam - this was my first visit here. Continuing on I made my way to the village of Jemez Springs and parked at the library. I walked to the back of the library and followed the clues to easily find Hot Water. There was no one around so it was easy to grab and I took it up to the deck at the back of the library and stamped in at a table. I then replaced the box and went in search of Slimy-Readers Choice. I was having a little trouble with the clues and I started searching different rocks but was not finding the box. I then noticed a man walking toward me with a fishing pole so I took out my camera and started taking pictures. We ended up talking for about 15 minuets - he told me about his son who also liked to take pictures and he told me how the two of them travel up and down NM4 stopping at different spots so his son can do his photography.
Jemez River in Jemez Springs
It was actually a nice visit. After he left I reread the clues and this time I found the box. I sat on a nice flat rock and stamped in. I got the box back under its rock and returned to my car. There was one more box to look for along NM4 just outside the village at The Bluffs fishing area. The box is called Stop and Rest. I parked in a pull out and had to step over a low fence to get in since the gate was closed. I followed the clues and walked down the path. Again I got a little confused - the clues stated that I was to look for a SPOR where the path starts to sharply turn to the right in a horseshoe shape. At first I thought I found the spot but when I searched amongst the rocks I came up empty handed. So I walked back and forth along the "horseshoe" but never found the box.
So during my drive today I searched for 14 boxes and found 9 - I came up empty handed for 5. Now it was time to make my way home. I drove the rest of NM4 to the intersection of US550. I took this south to Bernalillo. Then I remembered I had one more clue. So I made a quick stop to nab that box. It was a quick and easy find and before I knew it I was back on the road. So I found 10 boxes today and had a great time exploring the Jemez Mountain Trail National Scenic Byway. By the time I arrived back in Santa Fe it was about 6:00pm and I was relaxed and happy - thanks to everyone who populated the area and created a fantastic adventure.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails