This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Letterboxing in Louisville

Last night we stayed in a hotel in Pueblo and this morning we woke up and got things ready to complete our drive to visit Thomas' brother in Broomfield. We stopped for breakfast and by 9:00am we were on the road again. We made our way up to Louisville to do a little letterboxing before going to Chris' (that's Thomas' brother). Arriving in Louisville we made our way to the first letterbox, and actually we were going to get two from the same location even though the clues told you to park in different spots. So we parked and took the very short walk to the first box.
The Colorado Rockies from Coal Creek Trail
At first I didn't find the box because I looked under the wrong black rock. A minute later (after finding the right black rock) I had the box in hand. There was a nearby bench to sit on and stamp in. I opened the box (If it Smells Like a Rat, Give it Cheese) and found a hitchhiker (that I will move on). The stamp was funny and I loved it - I won't say what it is so that it doesn't spoil the surprise when you find it. After stamping in we replaced the box. From this point we continued down the trail (which I think is part of the Coal Creek Trail that runs all over this area) to the next landmarks. We found the mile marker sign, crossed the private drive and then located the 7'6" sign. Here we had some problems. There is a fallen tree right next to the fence and 7'6" sign and we looked there for The Pepperoni Pie. We did found a kind of large hidey hole and two rocks but no letterbox. While I was searching the are around this tree Thomas saw another fallen tree just a few feet away so he went and searched that one. We both came up empty handed so we decided to call it quits and head to the next box. We drove to the parking area for the Aquarius Trail on Hwy42 which was really not far from where we just left. After parking we started our walk to find the next box - Celtic Hearts. We walked about 300 feet before I realized we were going the wrong way so we turned around and headed back to where we started. Then we took the right trail and walked the short distance to where the letterbox was hidden. We found it quickly and found a spot to sit and stamp in. Once the box was back in place we walked back to the car and then headed to Chris' house.

We visited with Chris, Karla and Ashley for a while and then Chris and I took a walk to the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Library to find Green Eggs and Ham. We had a pleasant walk along a beautiful trail in Broomfield. We arrived at the library and followed the clues and found the box without any problems. There is a table nearby that we sat at to stamp in. After replacing the box we walked around a wonderful 9/11 Memorial and then headed back to the house. For dinner we went to Waterloo in downtown Louisville. This place is owned by the same people that owned Waterloo Records in Austin. I had a great hamburger and sweet potato fries while Thomas had some incredible mac & cheese with chicken. After we all finished our meals we walked over to Sweet Cow for some ice cream. This place has some delicious homemade ice creams. Thomas had peppermint stick with chocolate sprinkles and I had espresso bean - it was a perfect way to end the night. We dropped Chris, Karla and Ashley back at their house and then we made our way to our hotel. Now that I am showered and done with this blog it is time to get some sleep. Tomorrow I am not sure what we are doing.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails