This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, December 21, 2012

The World Was Supposed To End . . .

. . . so I went letterboxing.


Thomas and I made plans to visit his brother in Broomfield, CO for the weekend. So today after work we left Santa Fe and headed north. Of course I had also planned to do a little letterboxing during this trip as well. We left Santa Fe around 4:00pm and had a pretty uneventful drive along I25 to Raton. It was around 6:30pm when we arrived in Raton so we decide it would be a good time to stop and get a bite to eat. After a quick dinner we were back on the road so we could get to our destination for the night - Pueblo. But I wanted to stop and grab a letterbox before we actually arrived in Pueblo. We exited at Colorado City and made our way to a rest area. We parked and I read the clues in the warmth of the car. It took a little while to find the landmarks since it was 8:30pm and dark. Thomas found the sign we needed and he stayed at the car and I went in search of Iris Garden. From the sign I was able to see the area better due to a street lamp a few feet away. I read the clues again and quickly found the three junipers and the tall tree next to them. Once I was headed to the box the light was not helping much so I took out a flashlight for the last little part of the walk and to locate the box at the base of the tree. I found the box easily and jogged back to the warmth of the car to stamp in. After stamping in I quickly made my way back to the hiding spot to replace the box. Am I crazy or what - I found this box at 8:30 at night, trekking through an inch of snow with the temperature hovering at about 25° - while Thomas waited for me in the warm car.

Once the box was back in place and I was in the car we finished the short drive to Pueblo and found a hotel. Luckily the first one we stopped at had vacancies. Tomorrow we make our way to Broomfield to visit Thomas' brother and hopefully find a couple more letterboxes.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails