This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Day of Letterboxing in the Duke City

Another day off and I decided that letterboxing sounded more fun than cleaning the house and running errands. So I mapped out some boxes in Albuquerque and gathered my things and hit the road. We had about five and a half inches of snow on Monday in Santa Fe and it was pretty cold. So I was hoping that Albuquerque was a little warmer and I knew that they hadn't received any snow so I felt like it would be a good day to letterbox there.
Albuquerque Balloon Museum
I arrived in the Duke City a little after 9:00am and made my way to my first stop - The Anderson - Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum. I had clues for two boxes here. There were only about five cars in the parking lot and as I parked near where the first box was hidden I had to wait about five minutes because a security car pulled up and parked just in front of me. They eventually got out of the car and went into the museum. I took the opportunity to run and grab Flying New Mexico Blue Skies. I found it easily enough and took it back to my car to stamp in. So I stamped in and as I was getting everything packed away the security people returned to their car and left. That left the coast clear to put the box back in place. After rehiding the box I drove my car to the opposite end of the parking lot to find the next box - Follow Your Dreams. This was also an easy find hidden under a bush at the far end of the parking lot. I stamped in while sitting in the car and then replaced the box. Now I was on my way to the next location. From the museum I drove the short distance to Paseo del Norte and Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Here I was looking for Burgers & Fries, Oh Mies!! and thankfully the area was deserted since the place wasn't opened yet. I was able to find the box and sit at a table near the building and then replace the box without seeing any other person. I really liked this stamp - very cute. I returned to my car and headed south on I25 to Central and parked near the University of New Mexico. I ended up parking about two blocks away from where the next box was hidden. So I walked the short distance to the box and when the coast was clear I found Lion King Musical Nala. There was a wall nearby where I could sit and stamp in.
Mural in Frances Tinnin Park
This is a great stamp from BirchMoon and I enjoyed finding this box. After stamping in and rehiding the box I headed back to the car. The next box is in the downtown area so I made the short distance to Gold and 2nd St. to find Wronghat's New Mexico Women #3: Mary Colter. This box is hidden in a small pocket park called Frances Tinnin Park. I found the box's hiding spot but had to wait a minute because someone was sitting about five feet away. He finally left and I say next to the box and pulled it from its hidey hole. I stamped in and then quickly replaced it before someone else showed up.
I had clues for one more box that I wanted to find and since it was still early (not quite noon) I decided I would head out to find it. Back in August I was out at Petroglyph's National Monument and I found Wronghat's Plethora of Petroglyphs. Then in mid November I received an email from Wronghat that he had placed a bonus box associated with the Plethora box and since I had already found the original box he sent me the clues for the bonus.
***Now before anyone gets all bent out of shape, I am not giving away anything - just the other day I received a note from Wronghat giving me permission to mention it on this blog - here is what he said . . .
I'm glad you had a good time--If you want to mention Pteroid in your blog so you can write about your adventure--which I'd like to read about--you have my blessing. Maybe it'd get more people out to find the Plethora box.
~Wronghat
So I followed the clues to the bonus box. I am not going to tell you where it is hidden - you will just have to find Plethora of Petroglyphs to get the clue. Lets just say that I decided to make an afternoon of visiting the Petroglyphs. I started my visit at the Visitors Center (where Plethora is hidden) and got a map of the park. I also shopped in their store and bought a couple of books. I then went to the Rinconada Canyon area of the park. I really liked this area. There is a loop trail that is just a little over 2 miles roundtrip. One part of the trail follows along the rocks where all the petroglyphs are. While taking pictures a young man (a volunteer with the park) showed up and he answered a few questions about the park and the petroglyphs. He turned out to be very knowledgeable and friendly. I finished my walk and returned to the car. I left this area and drove to the Boca Negra Canyon part of the park. While here I walked around the area and just enjoyed the absolutely beautiful day that Albuquerque was providing. I really enjoyed exploring this park and seeing all the petroglyphs.

Petroglyph at Rinconada Canyon

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails