This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Louisville, Broomfield and Westminster

This morning we slept in and then met Chris and Karla for brunch around 10:00am at New Star Cafe in Broomfield. And after a great meal and a wonderful visit we said our goodbyes and Thomas and I set out for some letterboxing. Yesterday we had a little problem finding a box and last night I looked at the clues and realized the clues were a little different than the ones I had and I also realized that there was another box very near this box. So that is where we started letterboxing. We returned to the Coal Creek Trail in Louisville and made out way to the area mentioned in the clues to find The Pepperoni Pie and This Way 2011 Feet. We found both boxes without a problem but the This Way 2011 Feet box was out in the open and the stamp and baggies were all over. I could not find a logbook anywhere.
Harper Lake and the Rockies
After stamping in I put the box back together but I didn't have an extra logbook to leave in the box. So I let the placer know and hopefully they will be able to get it all fix soon. We left there and headed to one more box in the Louisville area. We arrived at Harper Lake (or Leon Wurl Wildlife Sanctuary) and parked. We followed the trail around the lake to the landmarks mentioned in the clues. I found the box and found a spot to sit and stamp in. I enjoyed the stamp and the area. There were so many birds around. We saw lots of geese, ducks and some white birds (sorry I am not that good at identifying birds). With the box back in place we continued on our journey. We made our way to Broomfield and did a quick drive by to find Grouron Jack's. I love this box. It is hidden near Rock Creek Farm off of some trail that I didn't get the name. I loved the stamps but I won't tell you anything else - you will just have to go and find the box yourself.

From here we made our way to Westminster for finish off our letterboxing. Our first stop here was at Big Dry Creek Park. The walk to the box (You Spin Me Round) was short and we found the box without any problems, especially since the box was in the open (well it was in the hole but not covered). Even though I could see the box I was a little worried about grabbing it because the clue stated that one of the finders saw a snake in the hole with the box. So I grabbed a stick and knocked the box out of the hole and found a spot to sit and stamp in. I replaced the box and it was on to the next location. We ended up in what looked to me like a very ritzy neighborhood. We parked on one of the streets and took an access down to a trail. Near where the access met the trail was a bench and across the trail from the bench was a group of bushes or small trees and under that was the Singing Daisy. I stamped in on the bench and then rehid the box. We returned to the car and then drove literally around the corner to Vogel Pond Open Space. As our afternoon progressed the temperature started dropping and the wind picked up a little. So Thomas decided to wait in the car and read while I walked around the trails and found boxes. I followed the clues and found all three boxes I looked for here. I found Nala Awaits Her Beau, Free Wheeling Timon and Loyal Pumbaa. By the time I found all three boxes and stamped in and then rehid them I was getting pretty cold. So when the last box was back in place I headed back to the car. I still had clues for three more boxes but it was almost 4:00pm. We decided to get one more box just a few blocks away and then call it a day. We made our way to Valley View Park and quickly found Singing Donald (so now Daisy won't have to do a solo). I stamped in and returned the box to its hiding spot. Back in the car we decided on an early dinner and for some reason we were both craving pizza. Old Chicago won out and we set the navigation and headed to the restaurant. We had a great meal and since it was our first time there the manager came out and talked to us and gave us each a $5 gift card for future visits. I thought that was incredible customer service and the next time we are in the area I will sure make a stop there again even without the gift cards. Now we are settled in for the night and have things ready for our trip home tomorrow. We hear that snow is in the forecast so we will have to see what we will be able to do as we head home. As of right now we have plans to try and find a few boxes around Raton, Folsom and Capulin areas.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails