This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

A SPOOKtacular (and SPECtacular) Event

Well, The Santa Fe SPOOKtacular is history!

First I would like to say thank you to Astro D, rubberpeace, rbrhorno, The Great Wuga Wuga and Highwayman. If it had not been for all their help the event would not have been as successful. And second, I would like to thank everyone who attended our event. (Azroadie, Warm Front, Cold Front, AZJokester, artistamp, Azobox, Lisa from the TwinvilleTrekkers, Chris, preboxed, Front Range Hiker, y-nought, La Paloma and Elros) I had such a great time just visiting and talking with everyone. We had a small group but everyone who was there was so enthusiastic and appreciative. So thanks for attending our event and I hope we made your trip to Santa Fe a memorable one.

The morning started out a little cold but rbrhorno got us all warmed up by building a nice fire in the fireplace at the shelter. With all the visiting and stamping going on I don't think anyone really even noticed the cold. All in all the weather turned out to be perfect and we could not have planned it any better. The Great Wuga Wuga and Highwayman took good care of all of us by getting all the soup heated up. I think everyone enjoyed the food because I came home with two empty pots. And thanks to all the attendees for the chips, breads, crackers and desserts. We enjoyed a great spread. Once everyone had been fed people headed for the trails to find the boxes that we had planted.

Astro D, The Great Wuga Wuga and myself were all of a sudden left alone at the shelter. We cleaned up a bit and organized things and then just talked about how things were going really well and very smooth. After a while I decided to walk the trail and check on everyone - you know they were all searching for letterboxes in a haunted wood. Really! As I walked the trail I encountered large spiderwebs with equally large spiders, severed hands, flying bats and boxes where ghost had stolen the stamp. I was happy to find all of our attendees were safe and sound and really seemed to be enjoying themselves amongst all the ghouls and goblins. So I returned to the shelter to relax.




Soon enough everyone had returned with logbooks covered in SPOOKy images. Then another round of eating and visiting ensued. I was extremely happy to hear that all had enjoyed themselves thoroughly. Everyone then helped us to clean up and get the shelter back to its original state. The event had come to an end and I headed home. As I sit and type this blog I am happy to have spent the day with my letterboxing friends and to have made a few more.

I need to thank one more person. Funhog graciously sent us a letterbox to place for our event. We really appreciate you thinking about us even though you could not be here. Your box (Flight 1007) is now permanently placed in Hyde Park thanks to The Great Wuga Wuga.

2 comments :

Funhog said...

It looks like everyone was having nothing but fun. I only wish my porcine self could've been there instead of just a little letterbox. Congrats to the hosts with the mosts.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I don't know what I was expecting, but I know that this event soared well above any expectations I could have had! What most impressed me was the feeling of comraderie among everyone. I had never met anyone before, except through trail names in log books and online, but yet I felt as if I was walking among old friends all day.
The entire event was so much fun and every detail was covered with such thoughtfulness and playfulness, too.
Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails