This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Picacho Peak

It was a cold and windy morning . . .

OK, I will spare you - but it was really cold and windy when I met John & Mark (otherwise known as the Weeny Boys) and Chris to hike up to Picacho Peak. We all met at the parking area to the Santa Fe Nature Preserve. There were already five or six vehicles when we arrived. I thought that was a lot for such a cold morning. Anyway, we headed out for the Dale Ball Trails and our destination - Picacho Peak. I have a letterbox hidden at the peak and John was searching for it - he would be the first finder. The hike was pretty uneventful, I mean it was just a very pleasant and relaxing hike. Of course this hike offers excellent views of the Santa Fe area. We made it to the top easily enough. But there was a little problem with the clues to my box. You have to take quite a few steps from a sign and I guess that over that distance it puts you off a little. In the end John found the box and stamped in. We then made our way to the peak and enjoyed the views - but only for a little while. It was a little cold so we headed back down the trail. All four of us counted the steps and came up with different numbers but all very close. So I will update the clues with an average of what we found. I will also probably add a few other landmarks just to help verify where you are when you take the appropriate steps. In a short time we were back at the parking lot and parting ways. This was a great hike for a brisk fall morning and as I am writing this it is now snowing. I guess it was a good thing we went hiking this morning.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails