This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

One Found, One Lost

Today started very early - 3:30am to be exact. Thomas had to catch a flight to Indanapolis this morning to attend a two week leadership conference for work. So we headed to Albuquerque. A pretty uneventful drive and I got Thomas to the airport in plenty of time.

From there I decided to head up to Abiquiu. Astro D planted a box there a couple of weeks ago and I was just itching to get out there and find it. I arrived at the place only to find the gate locked - and I thought "Oh, Great!" it isn't open today. But then a young man pulled up, opened the gate and I was a happy little letterboxer. I parked and got my things and headed out to find the box. It was only a short hike and a pretty quick find - but that didn't make the experience any less special. The place was beautiful. It was so peaceful and what a great place to spend a chilly Sunday morning. And of course I was rewarded with another wonderful Astro D stamp and a First Finder Certificate. I wandered around a bit but was unable to go very far, there was mud everywhere and I kept sinking in it. So I returned to my car so I could go to my next destination.

Oh, the place is Plaza Blanca and the box is Georgia in White - you must get out there to enjoy them both - the trip is really worth the effort.

My next stop was Ghost Ranch to check up on my Chimney Rock box. I love the hike up to Chimney Rock! So imagine my disappointment when I arrived to find my box missing. This is the third box to go missing in a few weeks. I have to say that most of it is my fault. This was the first box I planted and my hiding skills weren't the best. It probably should have been hidden much better. I will replace the box but I am not sure if I want to recarve the same stamp or just make a whole new box with a different image. You'll just have to stay tuned to see what happens. The picture shows where the box should have been.

Even though another box went missing I still had a great day. And you can bet there will be a box on the Chimney Rock Trail at Ghost Ranch in the near future.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails