This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Four Corners Letterboxing Event

As usual I was up early and ready for the day - which was hours before the Letterboxing the Four Corners: Media of the Region event was to start. So I decided to head to Berg Park and find a couple of boxes before the event was to start. I went to the Tucker St. entrance to the park but the gate was still closed and locked. So I drove around the corner and parked on the side of the road. There was a place to enter the park here and I headed east on the trails.
Le Pew
As I was walking to the first box I turned a corner and about 50 feet away I spotted a skunk. I have to tell you that I think this park is infested with skunks because everywhere you go there is that distinctive odor that is undeniably skunk. When I spotted the little black and white 'stinker' I came to an immediate stop. I watched to see which way it was moving and thankfully it was headed in the opposite direction that I was headed. I waited a few minutes and then continued on my way to the box. I arrived at the area and looked for C4's Smile box. This was a quick and easy find and I found a nice spot to sit and stamp in. After rehiding the box I went to look for another box. This box was in the vicinity of where I had seen the skunk earlier. I slowly approached the area looking for anything black and white. I didn't see anything but the odor was really strong - so I decided to go back to the car and get some breakfast. I ended up at Dunkin Donuts and had a donut and coffee. When I was done I returned to the park and this time the Tucker St. gate was open and Astro D's car was parked there. As I entered the trail I didn't immediately see Astro D so I returned to my car where I had left my phone. As I was calling her to see where she was at I heard someone call out my name. So I walked toward the voice and quickly found her. She told me that she had also seen a skunk when she started on the trail. I walked along with her while she found some of the boxes I already had. Then we got to the area where I had seen my skunk and again we searched the area and when we were satisfied that there was no skunk we looked for the box. This box was Los Muertos Agradecidos: Trumpet Player. Astro D located the box and we found a place to sit and stamp in. After this box was in place we decided to head over to Animas Park and the event. We parked and headed to the event area and found that quite a few people were already there.

I spent some time visiting with people and getting a few exchanges. Then I stamped in to the event stamp and then visited with a few more people. The event stamp was fantastic - RNR did a great job carving it. There was plenty of food and some table top boxes - which I took advantage of. There were also a few boxes hidden around the event area. I found S. . . P. O. R., Tyfol Dragon Attacks Letterboxers, Table Top Food: Strawberry & Watermelon, Wildflower: Flower & Stem and 2-Lip: Flower & Stem. After a couple of hours I hit the trails with Astro D and AZJokester. I had found most of the boxes already and only needed to find a few new ones.
Astro D & AZJokester
So I mostly just walked and visited with them as they found boxes. We spent hours walking all over the park as they found boxes. As for me I found On Location: Route 66, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Bar Scene, Jump Into River, Blowing Up Train and Stained Rose. We followed the trails and kind of did a circle around the park ending up back at the event area. By this time the event was over, everyone was gone and the area was cleaned up. So Astro D and I headed for our cars while AZJokester decided to keep letterboxing. Both Astro D and I were hungry so we decided to go to a place AZJokester had recommended - Serious Texas Bar-B-Q. After a nice meal we called it a day and we left the restaurant and headed for our hotels. When I arrived at the hotel I gathered my things and went to my room. I took shower and put on my flannel pj bottoms and a t-shirt and started logging my finds and exchanges. While logging in I suddenly remembered that there was a box hidden outside of my hotel. So I put on some shoes and grabbed my letterboxing bag and headed out in my pj's to find Aspen's Red Lion box. There is a walking path behind the Red Lion Hotel that leads into Berg Park and the box was hidden on the trail near the hotel. So this was a quick and easy find and once I had stamped in and put the box back in place I returned to my room.

By this time I was starting to feel tired but I wanted to get this post done. I had a great day at the event and really enjoyed my time visiting and letterboxing with Astro D and AZJokester. The Farmington letterboxers did a fantastic job with this event and I am looking forward to the next one they host.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails