This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Walk in the Park(s)


This coming Saturday is the Letterboxing the Four Corners: Media of the Region event and the park where it is being held is full of boxes. Some which have been there for a while and new ones that have been planted for the event. Looking at the list of boxes available (and that doesn't count boxes that people will plant on Friday or Saturday) I knew there was no way I could get them all and take time to visit with other boxers. So today I decided to spend the day in Berg/Animas Park and see what kind of damage I could do. The park is actually a combination of things - Berg Park, Animas Park, Riverside Nature Center and the Berg/Animas National Recreation Trails. There are about 5 miles of trails in the two parks and there are two bridges that cross the river providing access to both parks. Here is a map of the Berg & Animas Park Trail System.
Over the last few days I have been gathering clues and mapping them out on the map. So I had a good idea of where the boxes were located. This morning I decided to start in Berg Park and make my way along the north side of the river and cross the eastern most bridge into Animas Park. Then I would work my way along the south side of the river and then crossing back to Berg Park on the western bridge and then back to the car. I wasn't sure how many boxes I would get or how long I would spend in the park but that was the plan for the day. There is parking and access for Berg Park on San Juan Blvd. near the corner of Scott Ave. which is right around the corner from my hotel, so I decided to start there. After parking I walked into the park and looked at my map and clues and started my letterboxing adventure in Berg Park. I walked the Riverside Trail, the Woodland Trail and the Nature Trail looking for boxes. Some were quick and easy and some took me a little time and thought. But as I learned more about the park things got easier. I found all the boxes that I was looking for on the north side of the river and had a great time. These are the boxes I found in Berg Park - Escher's Goose and Fish, Game of Thrones, Greetings, Four, Hosmer, Honoring Veterans: Memorial Weekend, The Kiss, Who is That Masked Man: Tonto and Lone Ranger, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Leaphorn & Chee, Fleur-de-Lys, Georgia O, Red or Green? and Leaphorn. At this point I crossed the bridge into Animas Park.

In this park I again walked all the trails I mentioned above and I also took time to visit the prairie dogs and the Riverside Nature Center. Along the way I took breaks on benches scattered throughout the park for snacks and water. I had some problems with boxes on this side of the river and I wasn't able to find a couple of boxes - not sure what I did wrong but I can probably look for those again on Saturday. I really enjoyed walking the trails at this park and finding boxes. Here is what I found in Animas Park - Return to the Moon, Corn is Maize, GAQLBE10 - Maine, Cowboys and Aliens, Gilmore Girls, Where's the Four Corners?, Gunnison's Prairie Dogs, Horse of Another Carver: Pokey, Cheveyo, Great Day for UP!, Ultima's Owl, Blacksheep, Flutterbye the Four States, Around the World in 80 Days, I Love Lucy, The Searchers, Dances with Wolves, Calvary Trilogy, I Think I'll Go Home Now, Stagecoach, Native Art and Mesa Verde.

All in all it was a great day. I spent about 7 hours letterboxing in the parks. By the time I reached the car I was sweaty, thirsty, hungry and exhausted - but it felt good. Now I can have a relaxing time at the event and enjoy visiting with people. So I left the park and decided to just stop at a store and get something that I could take back to the hotel to eat. I ended up getting a pre-made salad and some fruit. When I got back to the hotel the first thing I did was to take a shower and get some clean clothes on. Now that all the logging of boxes is done I think it is time to get to bed - I know I will sleep well tonight.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails