This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Letterboxing and a Beautiful Drive

For a while now I have been planning a trip to Heron Lake to look for a Twinville Trekker box but every time I got ready to make the drive something got in the way. I have to say that we have been very busy this past year with work, travel and chores around the house and we are leaving in a week for another trip. I am pretty much packed and only have a very short list of last minute things to do before we leave. Since things are pretty much done around the house and we are ready for the trip I decided that I needed a day to get away and do a little letterboxing. Last night I gathered up clues and mapped out a drive and got things ready for a day of driving and letterboxing.
El Santuario de Chimayo
This morning I got up early, made some coffee, loaded the car and headed out. When I left the house it was still dark and I enjoyed the early morning drive - especially since there was absolutely no traffic. My trip planning took me up NM 599 to US 285. Once on US 285 I drove through Pojoaque and turned onto NM 503. Most people in New Mexico would probably figure out that I was heading to Chimayo. There is a box there (that I tried for twice before) that I wanted to find. I parked in the lot and when I got out of the car I was ambushed by four chihuahuas. They were out for a walk with there owner. They all wanted attention so I petted them while talking to an older gentleman who lived all his life in this area. After a few minutes he and the dogs left for home and I made my way to the Santuario. This time I was determined to find the box. So I followed the clues to the letter and had no problem locating the box. I was happy that there was no one around because it made me more comfortable looking around for the box. I took El Santuario de Chimayo (originally planted by Hi Desert and now adopted by Astro D) to a picnic table and stamped in. When I was done I replaced the box and then headed back to the car.

The next stop on my map was in Espanola. So I returned to US 285 and headed north. When I got to Espanola I made my way to the Bond House. I parked and noticed that there weren't any cars around but I still felt conspicuous and wasn't sure if there was someone in the place. So I read the clues while sitting in the car but was having a hard time figuring things out. So I grabbed my camera and walked around trying to find landmarks. I stood by this railing and made some connections and eventually noticed a suspicious pile of rocks under a bush. Luckily where it was located I could grab it and be hidden from view of the house.
Rio Chama Bri
I was also able to sit on a wall (hidden from view of the house) and stamp in. When I was done I replaced the box and returned to the car without any problems.

Now it was time to get to Heron Lake to look for the box that launched this trip. So I sat back and enjoyed the drive through Abiquiu and on to Tierra Amarilla. That drive is one of the most beautiful in New Mexico and I absolutely love it. I arrived at the lake and made me way to the parking area for the Rio Chama Trail Head. I grabbed my letterboxing bag and started following the clues. I walked down some rickety old stairs and then down to the river. I then crossed the swinging bridge to the other side of the river. I found the sign in the clue and then counted off the steps. I found the rocks and the box. I sat on one of the rocks and stamped into Twinville Trekkers' Beatles Series #25 "Mother Nature's Son".
Friend 1
When I was done I replaced the box and then decided to walk a little further down the trail. This area is really beautiful and I enjoyed my time out here and I enjoyed the letterbox. Eventually I made my way back to the car. Once back at the car I looked at a map and decided to head back to Santa Fe through Tres Piedras and Taos.
Friend 2
I made this decision for a couple of reasons - one, I wanted to check on a box in Tres Piedras (even though it was marked as unavailable) and two, I wanted to check on one of my boxes out near Tres Ritos. I guess there was another reason - I really love this drive as much as the one through Abiquiu. So after a nice drive to Tres Piedras on US 64 I found the church in the clue and checked for the box - it isn't there. But I loved the church - I wanted to go inside but there was a padlock on the door so I just walked around the outside.
Friend 3
I didn't have to walk around alone because as soon as I got out of the car I was greeted by three very cute and friendly dogs. After about 15 minutes I jumped back into the car and headed to Taos. I continued through Taos and then took NM 518 towards Tres Ritos. A few months ago I received a note that someone couldn't find my Descansos box.  I brought the clues with me and followed them exactly as they were written - I found my box without any problems. The only thing that might be a problem was that the American flag painted on one of the rocks is pretty faded - but it is still noticeable - so I decided to leave the clues as is. After making sure the box was hidden well I continued my drive home. I took NM 518 to NM 76 to NM 503 which got me back to US 285 just north of Pojoaque where I was early this morning.I had a great time driving Northern New Mexico and it was a very relaxing day out. I found three great letterboxes and got to check on one of my boxes.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails