This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Early Morning Letterboxing in Albuquerque

This coming weekend starts the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta and I have some friends coming in for a visit. Today I was picking them up at the airport and since I had to make a trip to Albuquerque I decided to make an early morning of it and grab some letterboxes. I left Santa Fe around 6:00am and made my way down to Albuquerque. Leaving early allowed me to miss all the traffic and I arrived a little before 7:00am at the Erna Ferguson Library to find Wronghat's New Mexico Women #1: Erna Ferguson. When I parked in the lot I noticed two police cars parked in the far corner facing in opposite directions. I figured they were chatting but I didn't want them to check up on me looking for the box. So I grabbed my camera and took pictures of the alphabet sculpture attached to the front of the building. Then I just slowly walked around the building until I got to the box. Luckily I was out of view of the police and easily retrieved the box. I then found a bench to sit on and stamp in. After that I returned the box to its hiding spot and then pretended to take more pictures before returning to my car. The police never bothered me and I felt thankful for that.

Alphabet Soup by Pete Beeman
My next stop was the New Life Church on Eubank. I parked in the very empty parking lot and made my way to a labyrinth behind the church. I followed the clues to find Jane Booth's Labyrinth letterbox. I found the box and was happy to see I was the first finder. I stamped in sitting on a huge chunk of concrete and then replaced the box. I was really enjoying this early morning letterboxing - it was so peaceful and quiet. I decided to put my letterboxing things in to my car and I returned to the labyrinth to take a relaxing walk. When I was done with my walk I got in my car and headed to my next location.

I arrived at an Open Space area off of Camino de la Sierra and parked on the side of the road at the entrance. I started on the trail following the clues to locate the next box - Jane Booth's Dark Crystal: Jim Henson Series #2. It was a short and easy walk that brought me near to I40 and a very large Aluminum Yucca sculpture by Gordon Huether. I took a few pictures of the sculpture and walked around it - I found I really liked this piece. And the fact that it is visible from the interstate fascinated me. After enjoying the art I found the box and found a good place to sit. I stamped in and then rehid the box. I then spent a little more time enjoying this piece before retracing my steps back to the car.

Aluminum Yucca by Gordon Huether
Back in the car I drove to the Old Town area and parked at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History. The clues started me at some dinosaur sculptures near the entrance to the museum. I continued following the clues until I found trilla marion's State Fossil 2. I found a nice spot to sit and stamp in and I was still enjoying the early morning quiet. After hiding this box I was done with letterboxing in Albuquerque but I still had time before I needed to be at the airport. So I decided to head a little further south to Los Lunas for one more box.

It was a pleasant drive to Los Lunas and I easily found the next location - the Los Lunas Public Library. I was here to find Wronghat's New Mexico Women #2: Nina Otero-Warren. I followed the directions and parked then walked to a bench and took a seat. I then read the rest of the clues and found the box's hiding spot from my spot on the bench. So I retrieved the box and brought it back to the bench to sit and stamp in. I then replaced the box and headed back to the car. I looked at the clock and realized that I would get back to Albuquerque and reach the airport at the perfect time to pick up my friends. I really had a great time letterboxing this morning and thanks to the letterboxers that placed all these wonderful boxes.

1 comment :

Laura said...

This morning I woke up and 22 of your posts were in my reader. It's like catching up with an old friend!

Hope you and Thomas are doing well...glad to hear about your adventures. I don't enjoy the negative aspects of our little hobby, but I still do like the outdoors and finding people's gifts. So I focus on that.

--dewberry/laura

Related Posts with Thumbnails