This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

To Gallup and Back (Part II)

Well we had a great day yesterday and I probably stayed up too late logging finds and writing this blog but I was still able to get up by 6:00am. I got all my things packed and loaded in the car and then met Astro D and rubberpeace in the lobby for breakfast. After a leisurely breakfast they gathered their things and we all piled into the car for another day of letterboxing.

The morning was cold and so we decided to take a drive up to Window Rock so that they could find my Navajo Code Talker box. The box is hidden at the Navajo Code Talkers Memorial. We arrived in Window Rock about 35 minutes after leaving Gallup and found only a couple of people near the Memorial. They followed the clues and found the box in no time. This was exciting for me because the box was placed way back on October 28, 2010 and I had not received any notifications on the box. I wasn't sure if someone had found it or if it had gone missing. So when Astro D pulled it from the hiding spot I was excited. They were the first finders and they both got a Navajo Code Talker Medal as a prize. So while they stamped in I walked around and took some pictures and then we headed back to the Memorial and took more pictures. After about 10 minutes of walking around we got cold and headed back to the car for the drive back to Gallup.

Now that we were back in Gallup we made our way to the High Desert Trail System's West Trail Head on the west side of Gallup. We parked and read the clues for Pinnacle Puma and then we tried to follow the trail to the destination - a sculpture of a mountain lion silhouette high up on one of the mesas. After a little discussion we decided to scrap the hunt for this box because of snow and mud on the trail and because it seemed really far away and really high up. So back in the car we headed to the east side of Gallup. After what seemed like a long time we arrived in Superman Canyon to find Superman Canyon. The road was pretty muddy and where the box is planted there is a curve and we didn't feel safe just parking there. So Astro D stopped at the box and I jumped out and grabbed it and took it back to the car. We drove up a little further and found a better place to park while stamping in. When it came time to rehide the box Astro D again stopped in front of the hiding spot and I jumped out and put the box in place. While I was getting the box situated Astro D pulled up a little further to get out of some slippery mud. I was then walking up the road to the car when a truck came from behind me and blew his horn and then cut right in front of me missing me by inches and then he drove past Astro D. I swear some people are so rude and impatient. I got back in the car and we headed for our next destination - Red Rock Park to find and check on my Red Rock box. About a month ago I got a notice it was missing. And we when got to the spot I was able to confirm that it is definitely missing and is now retired.

We were done with hunting for letterboxes in Gallup and it was time to start our journey back to Santa Fe. Instead of heading onto I40 we decided to take NM 602 to NM 53 (the way we actually drove to get to Gallup). As we left Red Rock Park I was looking at a travel guide for Gallup and noticed a map for some murals in downtown. So the girls indulged me and we parked and took a walking tour and saw about 15 murals. I took pictures and we took a detour to get some coffee and then stopped in at the Chamber of Commerce for some brochures on the murals. Now it was time to really head out. The main reason for taking the back route was so that we could eat at Ancient Way Cafe. Yesterday when we drove through it was closed (yes, closed on Wednesdays). This time we called ahead and made sure they were open. We got there and loved the ambiance right away. And the baked goods and the list of specials on the board hooked us. Astro D and rubberpeace split a brisket sandwich (I think) and some 7 bean soup. I had a grilled cheese and the 7 bean soup. We then split a black bottom cheesecake cupcake. Yummy! Astro D and rubberpeace left with a piece of tart cherry pie and I went home with a black bottom cheesecake cupcake and a 7 layer cookie.

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful and we made only one other stop at a rest area to check on a letterbox. I had noticed that it was marked 'retired' and we just wanted to check and confirm - yep! it is gone. We made it home around 5:00pm and I really enjoyed the trip. We found some great places and I am already planning some trips back to the area. Thanks Astro D and rubberpeace for a great time and thanks to all the letterboxers who placed boxes for us to find.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails