This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Six Year Letterboxing Anniversary

In my posts about our trip to Gallup I forgot to mention that the trip was done in part to celebrate my six year letterboxaversary. I found my first letterbox back on February 16, 2006 - it was Silver Eagle's Santa Fe Microbox. Every year since then I have made sure to do some letterboxing on that day. So Astro D and rubberpeace decided to help me celebrate and thus the Gallup trip was born. I had a great day in Window Rock and Gallup and on the drive home and what better way to celebrate than with letterboxing friends. I found Superman Canyon thus fulfilling my goal to letterbox on my anniversary. But, last night while logging in finds I noticed a new box in Santa Fe. And to be truthful I had no plans to go and find it. While I was taking my things out of the car and bringing them into the house I got the urge. So I printed out the clues and drove to the park (which is pretty close to my house). This box is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and is actually a series of three boxes. The walk to find the boxes was on a paved trail and from the clues, didn't seem long. So I hit the trail and found the first box - Ford Anglia. I stamped in, put the box back in place and headed for box number 2. I found the box and started stamping in and began to realize that the temperature was dropping and the light was fading. I stamped in to The Whomping Willow quickly and got it back in place. On to box 3. I was now walking fast - trying to out run the cold and the dark. By the time I found Aragog my fingers were turning blue and it was hard for me to see what I was doing. But I got the stamp and replaced the box. My walk back to the car was fast and I was thankful for the paved trail and by the time I got to the car it was really dark. The things we do for letterboxes - risk of hypothermia and stumbling in the dark - oh what fun. But seriously I was happy to do it to add a few more boxes to my six year celebration. I am looking forward to the next year of letterboxing and celebrating my seventh year.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails