This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Day of Replanting

Today I headed out to Cerrillos Hills Historic Park even though the wind was blowing and it was pretty chilly. I needed to replace a box that had gone missing and I need to find a new home for another one that I had to remove from its old hiding place. I knew I would get the one box replaced but I wasn't sure if I would find a spot for the other box - but I had it with me just in case. I arrived at the parking area and found that I was the only one around. My first task was to replace my missing box - Felis concolor. I wanted it in the same area because I really love the views and the peaceful quality of that spot. It is off on a little side trail that doesn't get much traffic and you can sit on a rock ledge and just enjoy the box, the views and the quiet. So I made my way up the Mountain Lion Trail (now renamed the Jane Calvin Sanchez Trail) to the old hiding spot of the box. I looked around and eventually found a new spot for the box. It is very close to the old spot but in a much better spot - I hope it doesn't go missing again.

After the box was hidden I took some pictures and then returned to the main trail. I continued along the trail to a spot with a bench and I just sat and enjoyed the views. I didn't stay long because the wind started blowing harder and it got colder. So I returned to the parking lot. But instead of leaving I walked up to the Analemma to read about it and take some more pictures. At this time I noticed a trail just past the sculpture. This trail is pretty new, I don't remember seeing it when I first planted my box. So I made my way up the Village View Trail. The trail is very easy and not very long and it ends at an overlook with a bench and a sign that talks about Cerrillos, The Early Years. From this overlook you can see the village of Cerrillos and the Broken Saddle Riding Co. This seemed like a good spot for Los Vaqueros. In case you hadn't heard I had to remove this box from Albuquerque because it violated their Open Space Rules. So I needed to find this cowboy a new home. What better place for a cowboy than somewhere with a view of horses. So I walked around, sat on a few different benches and eventually found a new hiding spot. I think he will be happy here.

After sitting and looking at the views for a while I decided I needed to head back home. I walked back to the car and I felt very good about the hiding spots. Now that both these boxes have new homes they would like to receive visitors. Make sure you look up the new clues before heading out and I am looking forward to people finding them.

1 comment :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Darn. We were just up there last week, but it was later in the day. So, we'll have to plan another trip up there to find these two boxes.

Thanks again for replacing your wonderful letterboxes. They are always such a treat to find.

~Twinville Trekkers5 and Fantastyk Voyager

Related Posts with Thumbnails