This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chimney Rock is Active Again

I planted my first letterbox on April 15, 2006 at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu, NM. I remember being very excited. Thomas and I had been up to Ghost Ranch numerous times and every time we hiked the Chimney Rock Trail. The views from the mesa are spectacular. You can see the entire Ghost Ranch compound, Abiquiu Lake and Cerro Pedernal. It is amazing the beauty you can see from atop this mesa. And you get a bird's eye view of Chimney Rock. This first box - Chimney Rock - was special since it was the first box I planted. I was very happy with my carving (it was my second carving - the first being my signature stamp) and the logbook. We hiked the trail up to the top and walked aroung the mesa looking for a spot to hide the box. We found what we thought would be a good spot and placed the box and covered it with rocks. After hiding the box we made our way down to the parking area and headed home. I wondered if the box was hidden well enough and if it would last and when it would be found. A few people found it - only one person logged in a find, another person sent me an email but never logged it and a third person told me in person that they found it. So as far as I know those were the only three finders. I hadn't heard anything about the box in a while so one day I decided to drive out to Ghost Ranch and check on it. I was disappointed to find that the box was gone. Unfortunately, my inexperience in hiding boxes was evident - the spot I picked was not very good. So then and there I decided that since it was my first box I wanted to replace it. I walked around the mesa scoping out possible new hiding spots and thinking about how I could hide it better. After an hour up there I decided it was time to head home. I should have worked on the new box immediately but I guess I needed to do other things and before I knew it time got away from me and it wasn't until today that I was able to get back out there and rehide it. I worked on the stamp about a week ago and finished the journal two days ago. Thomas and I had plans to go today but then we ended up getting some snow and we almost cancelled the trip. But when we woke up this morning it was clear and beautiful and we felt that it would be okay to hike. We had a very nice drive out to Abiquiu and when we arrived at Ghost Ranch we checked in and headed for the trail. We took our time and enjoyed the hike up, we stopped often to take pictures and check out the views. We arrived at the top and we immediately checked out rocks and bushes for a good spot. We wanted to stay close to the trail but also wanted some place safe. This time I think we did a much better job hiding the box and I feel it will last longer. After getting the box hidden we walked around the mesa and took more pictures before heading back to the car. To complete the day we stopped in at the Abiquiu Inn for some dinner before heading home. I am glad we didn't postpone the trip - it was a beautiful day and we had a great time. I have updated the clues and the box is waiting to be found.

1 comment :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a wonderful Anniversary trip and hike. We can't wait to find it one day. It will have to wait until I'm able to walk far without crutches, though.

Thanks for being such a terrific letterboxer in New Mexico :)

The Twinville Trekkers5

Related Posts with Thumbnails