This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cerrillos Hills and Museum Hill


A couple of days ago I got a note about one of my boxes at Cerrillos Hills State Park and I have been wanting to go out there and hike anyway so I made plans to head out there today. Also there is a new box that I could look for. I made it to the parking area and paid my fee. Then I crossed the road to the Jane Calvin Sanchez trail. When I arrived at the first mine I stopped and from this point on I was checking the clues for my Felis concolor box. So I read the clue and checked the degrees for the side trail and it was fine. I then counted the steps and made it to the next point - everything still good. From here I kept going checking the clues along the way until I reached the box. All the clues were pretty good but since I had a note that the clues were a little off or confusing I decided to tweak them a little. So I added a couple of landmarks and then I added a compass reading at the end to help find the hiding spot. So after I checked the clues and made sure the box was in good shape I returned to the main trail and continued on to find the new box - Cerrillos Birr by Wronghat. I found the landmark and followed the rest of the clues and easily found the box. The box is hidden near a bench so I sat there to stamp in. This is another great stamp by Wronghat and the hiding spot is nice - the views are fantastic. After I replaced the box I continued on the trail which takes me to the main road in the park but up a ways from the main parking lot. So then I walked along the road back to my car.

From Cerrillos I made my way back to Santa Fe and more specifically to Museum Hill. I went back to check on two boxes I couldn't find on Sunday. The first one I looked for is in the overflow parking area for the Folk Art and Indian Museums. I did a really good search and even dug down a bit because the clue said the box was buried. I made sure to check all around the area but I still didn't find the box. So I went over to the Spanish Musuem to check on that box. I first looked under the rock again but no box so then I kept searching the area around the tree and I found the box about a foot from the rock. I took Year of the Horse by Sunny Delight to the car and stamped in there. Wen I was done I returned the box to its hiding spot and made sure the rock was over the box. I am glad I found this one and I hope I just missed the other one - I would really hate it if that box was already missing.

Anyway I had a nice day of letterboxing and I enjoyed my little hike at Cerrillos Hill. There are still a few boxes in the Santa Fe, Pojoaque and Taos areas that I can still look for. Hopefully soon.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails