This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Letterboxing the Day Away in Albuquerque

About a week ago I put together a list of boxes in Albuquerque that I needed to find and decided that when my crazy work schedule let up I would head out and find them.
Apache Plume
So last night I got everything together and made a list and a driving plan for this morning. I didn't leave Santa Fe until around 8:00am and that was perfect because I missed all the traffic. My first stop was at the library and veteran memorial in Rio Rancho. Here I found Patriotic (and Water-Wise too!). This was a great place. Very relaxing and a good way to start the day. I sat and stamped in while enjoying the peace and quiet and the gardens. After rehiding the box I left Rio Rancho and made my way to Albuquerque and more specific to Trader Joe's. Here I found "Two Buck Chuck". I had to be a little careful here because it was at a very busy intersection. But I got the box and found a little spot where I was hidden from view where I could stamp in. When I was done I waited until the coast was clear and then put the box in place and headed for the car.

My next stop was a small little neighborhood park. There were only a couple of people around but they weren't any where near the box so it was not too much of a worry about someone seeing me. I did have a little difficulty finding the box - only because it was camouflaged pretty good and blended in with its hiding spot really well. I found a nice shady spot to sit and stamp in. The box is Birds of a Feather #1: Hootenanny. I really liked this carving and box. Time to move on. I had plans to stop by the zoo but when I arrived the place was packed and I mean packed. I drove around the parking lot for almost 15 minutes before I decided that if the parking was this bad the place had to be a nightmare. So I scratched that one and headed for the next box.
Rio Grande Nature Center Trail

I found this next box at the Rio Grande Nature Center (well actually in the bosque near the river). This box is called Motivation and was planted by a woman who recently insulted me and then when I tried to defend myself she called me rude. When the box was first planted a friend told me about it but I couldn't see it because I had been restricted. I didn't worry about it and decided if this woman didn't want me looking for her boxes that was fine. About a week later the box became available to me. I figured that she had lifted the restriction and now I could see it. I also noted that someone had found the box. The woman in question wrote to me after she saw that I had found a box in Albuquerque at the beginning of April. She wrote to accuse me of taking the box. She had tried to find the box the day before me but was unsuccessful. She returned to find the box the next day but I had already been there. She stated that she had wanted to be the first finder but unfortunately I had beaten her. Her reaction to that was that I went sometime before and took the box with me and then returned it days later thus making it unfindable for her. So I figure that since now I have access to the clues she had restricted me so that I couldn't be the first finder - which doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I don't ever go out to find a box just so I can be the first finder, I go out when I have the time. Anyway I found the box, it is an okay carve but very obvious. The SPOR was huge and can be spotted from the trail so I knew just where to go. In fact I didn't even follow the clues. As I was walking the trail to the river I looked to my right and saw the big pile of rocks next to a tree. I just walked over and found the box. I stamped in and then replaced the box and headed back to the Nature Center to walk around and enjoy the gardens. Now it was time to head out to the next box. This was at Tom Bolack Park and I was looking for Luciana. The park was completely empty and I could take my time looking for the box. Not that I needed it - this was and easy find and I took the box back to a bench to stamp in. The weather was perfect and I enjoyed sitting and stamping in. After putting the box back in place and returned to my car.

I was done in Albuquerque and decided to head out to Tijeras. I had time to go for another box placed on Cedro Peak. I exited I40 and took NM337 south to the turn for Juan Tomas Road. I then made my way to the Cedro Campground and parked. I was going on a search for Xeric Vertex by Wronghat. The clues stated that you could either hike or drive. I decided to hike but the clues also said the trail was a little sketchy. But I started my way up.
Tower at Cedro Peak
Now let me tell you that the weather all day had been extremely beautiful but now that I was heading up to some towers on a hill in the middle of nowhere without any other human life in sight it decided to change. Clouds started moving in and getting dark and the wind picked up. But I was almost at the top so I continued on. I was having a little trouble with the trail but came to a road and followed it up to the top. When I got there I got a phone call from Thomas so I talked to him and told him where I was and that the weather was looking bad. I told him I would find the box quickly and head back down to the car and I would call him from there. I followed the clues and found the box. I stamped in quickly and rehid the box. As I was doing this I felt a few rain drops. I quickly looked at the views and then made my way down the road again moving pretty fast. I found the trail I started on and followed it. I was almost at the bottom when I got a scare. It started thundering and I freaked out worrying about lightning. But I kept on course, got to the trail head and crossed the road. I threw my things in the passenger seat and then got in and slammed the door just as another thunder reverberated in the canyon. I started the car (I guess just to let myself know it would start) and then I called Thomas to let him know I was in the car and heading out of the campground. Before I reached NM337 the rain started and I was really glad I wasn't still on the top of Cedro Peak. From here I headed to Tijeras and the Cedar Crest. I stopped here to fill the car with gas and get some water and a snack for the drive home down NM14. The rain stopped but the sky was overcast and dark. But I enjoyed my drive home - I always love traveling the Turquoise Trail.

I had a great day letterboxing in Albuquerque and found some nice boxes. I just wish I could have spent a little more time at Cedro Peak enjoying the views. Well maybe I will make a trip up there again soon.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails