This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Letterbox in Coxen Hole

We are on our Cruise with my brother and sister and today we docked in Coxen Hole, Isla Roatán, Honduras. I have a couple of letterbox clues for the area. One here in Coxen Hole and one in Mahogany Bay. My family was very accommodating about going with me to find at least one box on the island so I could say I letterboxed here.

SteelPan Alley Sign
So we left the port area and headed west down the main road looking for the landmark of a stone castle. We had to walk about a mile before we came across the Stone Castle Cameo Factory. The clue then stated to continue to SteelPan Alley and from there we could find the box. Not far past the stone castle we saw a sign for SteelPan Alley and I then followed the rest of the clues and found the box. I was really excited to find a box in another country. And this box was placed by Gryzzled Gryphon and was called Hi From Texas. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. GG on many occasions at events in Texas and Oklahoma. So my brother and I stamped in while sitting on the sidewalk overlooking the Caribbean. When we were done we couldn't replace the box right away because some guy was hanging around.
Mahogany Bay View
Luckily in less than five minutes a taxi pulled up and he got in and left. We were then able to replace the box. From here we started heading back to the dock with a stop at the Cameo Factory first.

We then returned to the dock and took a taxi to Mahogany Bay to go to the beach. Before we hit the sand and water we stopped for a bite to eat and I noticed a sign on top of a building that said Hurricane Hole. This was a part of the clue for another box on the island. So we got a table at the restaurant and then ordered some lunch. I then went out and looked for the letterbox. I followed all the clues looking for a crate with a conch shell in it. There was a picture that was also part of the clue. Unforturnately it looked like they moved lots of the crates and the picture didn't match the scene anymore or vice versa. Anyway, I looked around the area checking in crates for the conch shell but never found anything. Well at least I found one box in Honduras.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails