This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Texas Panhandle

Thomas and I are on our way to Louisiana to celebrate Christmas with my family in Lafayette. This past week I was sick with the flu and we got a later start than we had hoped for. We also decided to take our time - I am still not feeling all that great. Our goal today was to get started around 7:00am and take our time, do a little letterboxing and make our way to Wichita Falls for the night. We actually got started a little before 7:00am and it was still a little dark. It didn't take long before the sun was up and we had a nice relaxing drive. Once we reached Tucumcari we started looking for an exit just east of there. Azroadie placed a box called New Mexico 66 off of old Route 66 just outside of Tucumcari. We followed his clues and found our first box of the day. I had a feeling I may be the first finder but no such luck. A couple from either TX or OK made a trip to Santa Fe to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary and they had found it first. Oh well, so I stamped in and rehid the box and we headed for the next one. Another Azroadie box and this one was just over the Texas border near Glenrio. Again off of old Route 66. An easy find and this time I was the first finder - Woohoo! and with a certificate and all - Thanks Azroadie! After getting everything back in its place we were off again. There was nothing between here and Amarillo so Thomas and I just drove and talked. When we reached the western edge of Amarillo we stopped off at Cadillac Ranch. Back in March 2009 jbkokopelli and WagTime made a circle trip of the panhandle area to populate it with letterboxes. This stop was for one of those boxes. Thomas had never been here so it was new to him. We walked to the cars and I took some pictures. Thomas took the clues and went to find the box. I joined him once I was done with the pictures and we were unable to find the box. I hope it was just us and that the box isn't missing but this is the fourth box that I know of that was placed here and they all seem to disappear at some point. So we headed into Amarillo for some lunch. I wanted to go to Joe's Crab Shack and Thomas humored me. He got a chicken sandwich and I got crab cake sliders (yummy) - seems I have started my seafood feast for the trip. After a nice relaxing lunch and talk it was back on the road. Just a little ways down from Joe's we stopped at a hotel and found a letterbox hidden in the parking lot. A quick stamp in and then on to a gas station to fill up the car. From here we went to find another jbkokopelli box at Ozymandias. Thomas had not seen this statue either so it was a good stop. I took a few pictures from the fence and then quickly found the box. I took it back to the car to stamp in and then replaced it. Thomas and I then walked out to the legs and each took a picture standing next to them. We decided we were done in Amarillo and we headed to Hwy 287 to start heading south. Our normal route when we head back home. Fortunately for us jbkokopelli had placed a few boxes along this route so we had some breaks and found a few letterboxes. The first on this road was in Goodnight. This box was in the Goodnight Cemetery near the grave of Charles Goodnight. After stamping in and replacing the box we returned back to the highway and stopped at the Community Center for another box. I didn't find the box but I did see a paper towel scrap that matched one in the Goodnight Cemetery box so I think someone found it and messed it up. Time to continue. Our next stop was in Memphis. We went to the Old Fairview Cemetery. There is a grave plot with markers for five people - one man and two couples - all with different last names. There is another marker in this plot with no name. It is a statue of a woman in a fetal position just laying on the ground. It seems to be a mystery how this statue came to be in this plot and who put it there. It was very interesting. We found the box, stamped in, rehid the box and then took some pictures. Now moving on we drove until we reached Childress. We stopped at a small park near the courthouse and found Gene Autry in Texas. It was getting dark and we decided we were done for the day but we still had a little over an hour drive to reach Wichita Falls. So back on the road we just talked and drove. As soon as we reached Wichita Falls we found a hotel and checked in. There wasn't much in the way of food choices in the area so we opted for El Chico's and we each had a couple of tacos. Now back in the hotel we are relaxing and are going to call it an early evening. We will continue our trip tomorrow to Dallas to visit my friend Eddie.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails