This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

From Wichita Falls to Richardson

We slept in this morning and by the time were dressed and ready to go it was 9:00am. So we got into the car and headed to Riverside Cemetery. The first box we looked for was a Boots Tex Gorvernors Series (I love these boxes). This one was called V and was placed for Governor James Burr V Allred. We found the box easily enough and I really enjoyed this stamp. After it was rehidden we began looking for a second box here in the same cemetery. We found Where's North just a little ways away from where we were. Another nice stamp and once it was in place we headed for our next destination. We ended up at Lucy Park. We started our walk and followed the clues to Hotter 'N Hell. It was a nice park and we didn't see another person during the enitre time we were there. Anyway we walked for a short while and then crossed the river on a suspension bridge. That is where we found the box - hidden under a boulder just at the end of the bridge. After stamping in and rehiding the box we headed back the way we came and then went a little further. This time we were looking for Thing 2 hidden by Silver Eagle. While I was stamping in Thomas noticed that the tree we were sitting under was covered in mistletoe. After the box was rehidden we kissed under the mistletoe and then we both got a little nervous. We realized we were in Texas and that we could probably get arrested - two men in a park kissing - I don't think people in these parts are open minded enough for that. So we walked back to the car and headed just down the road from Lucy Park to the Elizabeth Prothro Pavillion to look for another box. The pavillion was closed and we were unable to look for the box. For the next box we drove across town to Rosemount Cemetery to look for Go, Mustangs by Batty Girl. We found the box easily enough and then headed out. The cemetery was nice but didn't have any old graves or nice statues so we moved on. Just down the road from the cemetery we arrived at Lake Wichita Park. We found Harry Potter #1, stamped in and then rehid the box. The park was okay but nothing really to keep us there. It was time to leave Wichita Falls and head south. We needed to be in Richardson by dinner.

Heading south on Hwy 287 we planned to stop in Bowie for a box by Batty Girl. We took the exit and eventually arrived at the cemetery. I found the tree in the clue and looked in the hole and found a box. I took it back to the car and got everything ready to stamp in. Then I opened the box and realized that it was a geocache. I checked to make sure there was no stamp and then went to put it back and check for the letterbox. I didn't find the letterbox so we drove into Bowie and had a little lunch. We have passed this way many times and always see the sign for Bowie and we wondered what the town was like. We stopped at a little cafe and had a light lunch and the place was filled with people who you could tell had just come from church. It was a nice little town but we didn't have time to linger. There were a few more boxes to find and then we had to get to my friend's house. Our next stop was in Decatur. We visited three small cemeteries and found three boxes by Batty Girl - Hanging Around, Texas Tea and Roamin'. They were all neat places but the last one was the most interesting. First the clue said to go to a tree behind a certian gravestone. But there wasn't a tree there, just a stump cut right at ground level. The box was supposed to be in a hole at the base of a tree behind this grave. Just for kicks I walked to the stump to check it out. I actually found the box. There was an indentation in the stump that looked like it might have been a hole. So I moved some bark and twigs and leaves and found the box. I am amazed that when they cut the tree down the box survived. The other interesting thing about this place is that it had outdoor bathrooms or so I thought. I went in one and was creeped out. It was full of bird's nest and spider webs and I didn't stay in long enough to find out what else. And I didn't go in the second one. Time to go now. From here we had no more stops so we just drove and talked and listened to CD's. We checked into our hotel and then made our way to my friend's place. After a short visit we all went out to dinner at Twisted Root Burgers. It was a nice dinner and good conversation. But Thomas and I were tired so we returned to the hotel to rest. Tomorrow we head to Louisiana.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails