This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Acadiana Letterboxing

We are in Lafayette for the Christmas holidays and have been having a good time visiting with family and friends. I have found all of the available letterboxes in the area except for a couple. So today I took my niece and nephew (Hali and Ryan) with us to find a couple of boxes at Acadiana Park Nature Center. The name of the boxes was I Don't Know Their Names. Reading the clues I found that the placer had made notes but then misplaced them for a while. When they found them they logged the clues on AQ and they couldn't remember the names of each box. So anyway we started looking for the boxes and we had a little trouble with the first one. We followed the clues but there were some inconsistencies but we counted the steps and searched the tree we were at. We didn't find the box. We backtracked and tried again but to still no avail. We finally decided to look for the second box. As we were walking we decided to just check each tree that seemed to match the clues for the first box. Unbelievably we found the box. From this point we counted back the number of steps and found a trail, we then followed that trail and it lead back to the boardwalk. But it was at a different numbered marker - so I wondered if the placer just made a mistake with the number - anyway we found the box, stamped in and then rehid it. Time to continue on to the second box. The clues to this box made much more sense until the end. We found the trail and counted our steps but we didn't end up at a big tree, instead we ended up at a very small tree. So we searched the area where we were and then went back a little and then up a little but we never found the box. Not sure what we did wrong. I wrote to the placer and let them know what we did and I am waiting for them to write me back to see where I messed up. We all had a good time today and I enjoyed hanging out with my niece and nephew. After we left the park we stopped and had po-boys at Julien's. I had the best fried shrimp po-boy. We then returned home to just hang out - it was a good day!

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails