This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, October 03, 2009

This Letterbox brought to you by the Letter 'K'

Two years ago I decided to embark on a letterboxing challenge. I wanted to do a series of New Mexico boxes related to the alphabet. I started researching and picking things related to New Mexico for each letter. So far I have eleven boxes planted in the series: B, E, G, M, Q, R, S, U, V, W and the newest box - K. This newest box in the series is about Thomas Edward "Black Jack" Ketchum. A train robbing outlaw who spent quite a bit of time in New Mexico. He was eventually caught and hanged in Clayton, NM. A very colorful character in New Mexico history and I thought he would be a great addition to this series. I haven't had the time to get out to Clayton to hide the box so the stamp has been sitting on my work table for quite a while. Recently Astro D told me that she and The Great Wuga Wuga were taking a road trip to Kansas and they would be going through Clayton. She offered to plant the box for me on their way. So I put together a logbook and box and gave it to Astro D. This morning I got a note that the box was planted and she had included the clues. I have logged the box into Atlas Quest and Letterboxing North America and it is waiting to be found. So make your way to the northeast part of New Mexico to add this letter to your logbook.

I still have quite a few letters to do and I am working on it - slowly but surely. So stay posted as each of these comes to fruition. Most of the letters have been decided but I have four that I can't seem to make up my mind about. I am adding another level to this challenge - I want to be done with the remaining boxes by next October.

4 comments :

Goofy girl said...

Some day I hope to make my way to New Mexico esp. since I have a cousin in Albuquerque and get some of yours and the others boxes!!!

John and Diane said...

Glad you had that box ready to go and very glad to help you with this wonderful series. Can't wait to see them all!
-D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good luck Mark!

We can't wait to find your Clayton 'K' box.
We're actually planning on driving back up to Santa Fe tomorrow to attend the Harvest Festival at Los Golondrinas and to find Astro D's Soon a Monsoon (we called and they said they'd be open this time) and to return to Cerillos to retrieve a gift given to us by your Felis Concolor :)

Wish is luck!
~Lisa

Twinville Trekkers5

Louise said...

This is just too cool. The whole idea. The fact you got it ready so quickly. The fact that someone could plant it. Just too cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails