This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Not Happy With Da Bears!

Today Thomas and I visited Museum Campus in Chicago which includes Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquaruim and The Field Museum of Natural History. This is all next door to Soldier Field. I had clues to a letterbox that starts you at Soldier Field. The letterbox is called Da Bears. So after lunch we headed to 'The Mistake Beside the Lake'. It took us a while to find the starting point since we had never been to the stadium before and because it is huge. Anyway, the clues were a little cryptic so once at the starting point we followed each clue (they were numbered 1 -23). We went this way following a color, we counted lamp post, we counted squares and yelled Da Bears!, we went under bridges, we went up a ramp then down and around, we squared numbers and added lampposts, turned corners and found old railroad tracks. By this time I am pretty sure we had walked at least a mile and we were no where near Soldier Field (although you could see the field from where we were). So we followed the last three clues and found the box. Once I opened the box I couldn't hide my disappointment. We ended up at a nice little neighborhood park with a walking trail and a playground. From there we went through a hole cut into a chain link fence into an overgrown area with old railroad tracks. It wasn't the most appealing place. The stamp was store bought and so was the journal. There was really nothing special about the box and the only bright spot of the journey was seeing Soldier Field. I really hate to bad mouth someone who plants a box but if you are going to send people on a long journey through the city at least provide pleasant or historical areas and reward them with a hand carved stamp. I would much rather find an absolutely crappy hand carved stamp than a store bought one. There aren't many letterboxes in the area I am staying and I don't have a car to get to the ones on the outskirts of Chicago so I guess I should be grateful for this one. So now I have found two boxes in Chicago.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails