This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Peace and Quiet with Great Views

Thomas got this afternoon off so we decided on an impromptu letterboxing trip to Albuquerque. I looked through the clues and decided on three boxes that we could look for. So we loaded up the car and headed out. Our first stop was in Placitas. We exited I25 and headed east on NM165 toward Placitas. Then we turned onto Tunnel Springs Rd. (FR231) - this road is dirt and in some places a little bumpy and rocky and narrow. After traveling 1.5 miles and enjoying great views we arrived at the trailhead. The letterbox isn't hidden on the Tunnel Spring Trail but on a small little unmarked trail near the restrooms. We followed the clues and easily found the box. We also found some more great views and a tree with a swing hanging from it. So the fact that this in a store bought stamp didn't matter to me because this is a beautiful spot and Thomas and I had it all to ourselves for almost an hour. After stamping in, rehiding the box and taking some pictures we left this area to make our way to the next box.

The next stop was in Corrales. So we made our way back to NM165 and on to I25. Here we crossed I25 and headed to Rio Rancho Blvd. (NM528). We drove a little ways to Corrales Rd. (NM448) and then drove until we found the dirt road mentioned in the clues. The clues stated that the gate is usually open unless there is a fire or emergency in the bosque. We didn't see any emergency vehicles but the gate was locked and the fire danger sign said 'High'. We decided to park across the street and walk into the bosque in Corrales. We made our way to the Rio Grande and followed the clues to the box. Once we found the box we brought it back to the river so we could sit and stamp in and enjoy the views. I was the first finder of this box and the Twinville Trekkers left a little prize in the box for the first finder - thanks! We walked a little ways along the trail enjoying the river and bosque. I took a few pictures and then headed back to the car.

Now we were heading into Albuquerque. And specifically to This park is not easily found unless you know where you are going. It is completely surrounded by houses on all four sides. There are gravel paths between a few of the houses that lead you into the park. Once in the park you don't feel like you are in the city. It is peaceful and quiet with tall trees throughout the park. Each house has a fence or wall with a gate into the park. We only saw one person walking his dog, other than that we had the place to ourselves. The box was found easily enough and we just sat under a tree in the grass and stamped in. This park reminded us of the film 'Notting Hill'. (The two main characters jump a fence to explore a hidden park.) This was a perfect place to end our afternoon of letterboxing.

From here we decided to have an early dinner before heading back to Santa Fe. I was really in the mood for some food from back home so we headed to Pappadeaux's. I know it is a chain but the food is really good and take it from this Cajun Boy it really does taste like food from Louisiana. Thomas and I shared an appetizer of boudin which had just the right amount of spice and for our main dishes - Thomas had a chopped salad with chicken but I decided to indulge myself. I had a Crawfish Combination Plate (crawfish étouffée with rice and fried crawfish ). It was all so good. I couldn't eat it all so I will have more tomorrow for lunch. So with full bellies and some great memories of beautiful areas we headed for home. Thanks to all who placed the boxes we foun today (Queenbee, WossamottaU and Twinville Trekkers) - we had a great time.

1 comment :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehehe! So you found the Corrales Crawdad...and ate some crawdad for dinner. What a fitting meal, I'd say! :)

Wer'e glad you had a great day.

We're planning on going to Corrales today for the Mudding Day at Old San Ysidro.

~Lisa

Related Posts with Thumbnails