This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

An Evening in Albuquerque

This afternoon Thomas and I decided to take a drive to Albuquerque. We wanted to do a little shopping, have dinner and look for a couple of letterboxes.
We left Santa Fe a little after five and headed for the UNM Campus. We were actually headed for an area across the street from the UNM Hospital. We followed the directions for a letterbox by Wossamotta U called UNM Dreams. The box is hidden near a sculpture titled Dreams and Nightmares: Journey of a Broken Weave by Dennis Oppenheim. We found the area easy enough and I quickly found the box. After stamping in and rehiding the box I spent a few minutes taking pictures of the art piece. It is an interesting piece and I had never seen it - even though I have passed this way numerous times.

So we headed to our next letterbox destination. This one is called Bataan Memorial Park and is hidden in Bataan Memorial Park and was placed by Whatsamatta U (same person - different spelling?!?!?). This box is literally just down the street from the first one. We arrived at the park and headed to the Memorial. There were quite a few people out and about. There were two families and a couple just sitting and enjoying the park and evening. There was also a group of guys playing frisbee and one homeless person sitting two benches down from where the box was hidden. We walked around the Memorial waiting to see if anyone was going to leave. Finally I decided that no one was going to leave I read through the clues and figured out the spot I needed to be at to find the box. I walked over there and sat down. I took my camera out and started taking pictures while Thomas stood facing the homeless person and he reached behind his back and retrieved the box. He then handed it to me and no one was the wiser. I stamped in while Thomas walked around the monument and when I was done we repeated our actions in reverse to put the box back in place.

Once we left the park we found a place to eat dinner. We had a relaxing time and discussed what we needed to shop for. After we finished eating we did our shopping and returned home to Santa Fe. It was a nice evening in Albuquerque and we found two nice boxes and saw two new places in Albuquerque. And I reached another milestone - Bataan Memorial Park letterbox was my 200th find in New Mexico.

2 comments :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Whoohooo! Congrats on your 200th NM find!

Another NM letterboxer is great news, too. Looks like the Twinville Trekkers and Fantastyk Voyager have a couple more boxes to look for. :)

We placed another new box in Corrales today, too!

Clues forthcoming.....

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Fantastyk Voyager and I did some 'boxing' yesterday. Found this one and the one at Oso Canyon and at Hidden Park.

We had to laugh at all the running around we almost ended up doing for Bataan, too. What a sneaky letterboxer that person is. lol!

~Twinville Trekkers5
Lisa

Related Posts with Thumbnails