This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Dragonfly and A Pug

I have been planning quite a few letterboxes lately. I have carved around seven stamps in the last week. Today I decided to plant one of those stamps. This morning I backed the stamp with foam and made a logbook and got the box put together. This afternoon I headed down NM 599 to Caja del Rio and found myself at the Municipal Recreation Complex. About eight months ago I was out at the complex doing some walking after my eye surgery. I was also taking pictures for my As I See It 2008 blog and I came across quite a few dragonflies. That day I decided I wanted to place a box out here related to that. Well, I finally got a round to it and I placed Anisoptera near the pond at the complex. This area is great for walking although when soccer season is in full swing there are quite a few people in the area. It is still enjoyable just not very quiet. I hope you enjoy this box, I really like the way the stamp turned out and I hope my dragonfly isn't the only one you see.

After I finished hiding the letterbox and writing down the clues (I have to write them down right there or by the time I get home I forget what I did) I decided to go and find a letterbox. Astro D placed a box a few days ago that was sent to her by pugnasties. They want to have boxes planted in every state and Astro D offered to plant one in New Mexico. So I guess pugnasties carved a stamp, made a logbook and put the box together. They then mailed it to Astro D and she hid it and wrote the clues. Stamp in Every State: New Mexico Pug just happens to be hidden near where I had just placed my new box. So I drove about five miles to the parking area for La Cieneguilla Petroglyph Site and got my letterboxing bag and headed down the trail. It wasn't a far walk and it wasn't a hard walk - it was just perfect. It was late afternoon, the sun was getting lower in the sky and there was a cool breeze. I had the entire place to myself. I followed the clues and easily found the box. I had planned on placing a hitchhiker here that I have been carrying around since my trip to Oklahoma but alas the box was too small. So anyway, I stamped in and put the box back in its hiding place. I decided to take Astro D's advice to hike up the trail a little further and look for some petroglyphs. I wasn't disappointed either - there are quite a few up there. I spent about forty minutes walking around and taking pictures and eventually headed back to the car - it was time to head home.

I had a great afternoon - I always love hiding boxes and I also got to see a new spot in Santa Fe. I have lived here almost 20 years now and I had never been down that section of Airport Road - thanks Astro D for taking me to a new and interesting location.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails