This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, September 07, 2018

An Afternoon of Boxing in Santa Fe

In the last month a few new boxes have popped up in Santa Fe. So today I decided that after running errands I would go out to find these boxes. I got all the clues and mapped out a plan. I then ran all my errands and then had the rest of the day to letterbox.

First box was one off of Delgado Street. I found a place to park and then followed the clues. It was a quick walk and I easily found A Happy California Cow Mooves to Santa Fe by Wendy. After getting the box I found a good place to sit and stamp in. I was the first finder on this box. When I went to put the box back in place I had to wait a few minutes because all of a sudden there was quite a bit of traffic. Finally, the area cleared and I got the box back in it's hiding spot. Now I could head to the next box.

I drove up Hyde Park Road and parked at a pullout for the Little Tesuque Trail. Here I went in search of A Gift From Texas by The Huntress. This box is only a short distance down the trail and of course when I got to the spot there was a woman sitting about 20 feet away. So I walked past her and took some pictures. Luckily, she only stayed a few minutes. I then quickly found the box and took it down the trail to a rock where I could sit and stamp in. Then while I was stamping in (which was about 10 yards off the trail) two different people stopped to ask me what I was doing - very nosy. After stamping in I was able to rehide the box without a problem and then continue on to the next box.

From Hyde Park Road I headed to the National Cemetery. Once I arrived at the cemetery I went in search of USAF Brat Series New Mexico #7 by Flutter Fairy. I arrived at the spot and parked. There were three men (looked like workers) just standing in area, not working, just talking. So I took out my phone and pretended to text and walked around them to the hiding spot. From this spot I couldn't see the men so I guessed that they couldn't see me and I found the box. I took it back to the car to stamp in. The entire time I was stamping in the men didn't move. They just stood there talking. I didn't want to go put the box back in place because I didn't want them to get suspicious. So I decided to go visit Thomas' parents grave. About 20 minutes later I returned to the area to rehide the box and guess what - the men were still there and they had moved closer to where the box was hidden. Now I really couldn't put it back. So I found a bench and sat and played on my phone for another 20 minutes and they still didn't leave. I was so mad, first that my tax dollars were paying these guys to stand around and talk for almost an hour without doing any work and second that I couldn't put the box back in place. I finally decided to take it home and come back in the morning to hide it.
So I called it a day and headed home. There was still one more box I wanted to find but I had wasted too much time at the cemetery I decided I would get it tomorrow. Even with these men blocking my way I still had a great time letterboxing. And I will do a little more tomorrow.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails