This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Chiricahua, Bisbee & Tombstone

This morning after getting all my things together, packed into the car and checked out of the hotel I was ready to head out and explore more of southeastern Arizona. From Willcox I headed down AZ186 for about 30 miles to AZ181 which lead me to Chiricahua National Monument. I first went to the Visitor Center and got my passport stamps, picked up some postcards, a patch and a park map. I was not impressed with the Ranger at the desk, she wasn't very friendly and she seemed put off with the questions I was asking her. So I did what I needed there and left to explore the park. When I got in my car I realized I forgot to ask for the Junior Ranger booklet but I didn't want to go back inside and talk to that Ranger again so I just forgot about it and started my drive up Bonita Canyon Drive to the Echo Canyon parking area. From here I hiked up the Massai Nature Trail to Massai Point. I took pictures and enjoyed the views for a while then headed back down to the parking area. It was incredibly windy and a little chilly. Next, I drove to the Sugarloaf parking area and hiked the Sugarloaf Trail. I was getting tired of all the wind so I drove back down to the Visitor Center and parked there so I could hike to Faraway Ranch. I hiked the Silver Spur Meadow Trail to the Stafford Cabin and Faraway Ranch. After a short rest I returned the way I came back to my car. At this point I decided to leave the park and continue on with my day.

From the park I drove to the Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area near McNeal. I decided to look for a letterbox first and then spend some time exploring the area. I went in search of Sandhill Crane by Candies. I followed the clues and found the interpretive sign I needed and then looked for the box. I found the brick mentioned in the clue but no letterbox. So I decided to walk around the Cattalil Pond and take some pictures of the birds and relax a little. Thirty minutes later I was back on the road and headed for Bisbee. After finding a parking spot I went in search of three boxes. I first looked for Jimmy Aira's Chair by mizjen. I found the little library but it wasn't up against a storefront, it was in an empty lot up against a fence. I didn't find the box, so I moved on. Next I looked for Copper Queen Library by cq library. I found the library and looked around but was having trouble so I asked the guy at the desk. He said the box was not there any more and they had moved things around in the library. So I left there and went in search of Bisbee Mule by mizjen. The area was busy and it was difficult to look for the box in a discreet manner. So I didn't find the box. It was now time to leave Bisbee and make my way to Tombstone.

As I arrived in Tombstone I turned onto Gleeson Road and then parked in a pullout across from a transformer station. Here I went in search of Earp's Vendetta Series: Box #3 Pete Spence by the man with no name. I walked a short distance down a dirt road to the first electric poles. It was extremely windy and I was having trouble holding on to my hat and clues. And for some reason my compass was pointing me in the wrong direction. Finally, I found the right direction and found the box. Stamping in was difficult with all the wind but I prevailed and then got the box back in place. I had a clue for a second box here - Earp's Vendetta Series: Box #4 Indian Charlie by the man with no name. After 15 minutes I decided to call it quits - I couldn't find the box and the wind was becoming aggravating. So I headed back to the car and drove into Tombstone. I found a place to park and walked around the town for a while, took some pictures and got a snack. Then I went in search of one more box before calling it a day. I drove down Monument Road to the Ed Schieffelin Monument. I looked for and found Legends of Tombstone: Ed Schieffelin by the man with no name. I had a little problem with the clues but eventually found the box. After stamping in, replacing the box and taking a few pictures I was ready to head to my hotel for the night.

So I left Tombstone and made my way to Sierra Vista. I did stop for some dinner before heading to the hotel because I was positive I wouldn't want to leave once I was in my room. After eating I checked in at the hotel, took a shower and then did some logging of finds. Now that this post is done I am going to get some sleep so I can do more exploring tomorrow.
 

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails