This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

A "Comic"-al Event Day

Well, today is event day! I am staying in Sierra Vista and the event is in Sonoita. Before heading to the 14th Annual Tucson Gathering: It's "Comic"-al event I wanted to get some letterboxes outside of the event area. So I decided to leave early so I had enough time to get those boxes and then make it to the event on time.

I had my things ready and was in the car by 6:30am. I left Sierra Vista on AZ92 and then turned onto AZ90 and followed this highway to Huachuca City. Once in the city I stopped at an historic marker to look for One For the Boys by Desert Flower. The box was located about 50 yards from the marker even with a mile marker sign. So I parked there instead of at the marker. I easily found the box and brought it back to the car to stamp in. While I was sitting there a cop pulled up along side of me and asked if I needed help. I told him I was okay and had just needed to stop to make a call and I held up my phone. That satisfied him and he headed off. I finished stamping in and then replaced the box and continued on my drive to Sonoita. I continued on AZ90 to Whetstone and then took AZ82 heading west. When I reached Sonoita I turned onto AZ83 and headed north to the turnoff for Las Cienegas National Conservation Area. I drove into the area and began my search for five boxes . . . D is for Deer, F is for Frog, M is for Mosquito, R is for Raven and P is for Prairie Dog - all by FamilyTreeShaker. While I was at the first box a car pulled up and stopped but didn't stay, they just stared for a bit. Then I headed to the second box and here I met up with that car again. Turned out to be Lee from leeandnancy and CherryOnTop. We visited for a short time and they headed out and I needed to finish the two boxes at this spot. Once I had stamped into these two and replaced them I headed out to find the last two. I had no problems finding them and I didn't run into anyone else. Now that I was finished with all the boxes in this area I headed for the event.

The event was being held at Kentucky Camp off of AZ83. The camp is about five or so miles from AZ83 on a well maintained dirt road. When I first turned off of AZ83 there was a pullout on the right, so I stopped and read the clues for a couple of boxes that I remembered to be located before the camp. The first box was at a pullout on the left. So I drove up the road a bit and parked. I tried following the clues but they didn't work, so I gave up thinking I could stop again after the event. I continued on the road until I came to a split and then pulled off again to look for a second box. I followed the clues but didn't find the box. Then I read the clues again and there was another clue at the parking area for the camp. I guess they moved the box but didn't remove the first spot. Anyway, when I arrived at the parking area I easily found Kentucky Camping by blacksheep 1&2. After stamping in and replacing the box I started gathering my things to walk down the road to the camp. At this time Lee and CherryOnTop showed up. They told me about two more boxes in the parking area. So the three of us searched for and found Kentucky Bird in Arizona by Azroadie and Arizona Wild Things: J by Desert Flower. Once we were done with these two boxes we all gathered our things and started down the road. The event planners placed a series of four boxes along the road as a treat for having to walk from the parking area. We found Veronica, Archie, Betty and Jughead from the Archie Series. At the camp there was one more box for the series - the logo. Now that this series was completed I could meet a few people and visit with old friends. I also got the event stamp and some clues of boxes that had just been placed that morning. Then I found a quiet spot to map things out. Boxes were hidden on the Arizona Trail that runs through the camp and on another trail at the camp and at various spots around the buildings. I decided to hike the Arizona Trail and get the boxes out there first and then return to the camp to finish things up. I followed the trail and found the six boxes in the Dick Tracy series. Sometime during this series I bumped into Wronghat, Kaw and RNR. When I finished this series I picked up the next series and continued on. This was the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? series. There were six boxes in this series with the last box being at the top of a hill where you were rewarded with some incredible views. When I finished this series I returned the way I came and when I reached a certain spot I began a third series of five boxes. This was the Peanuts Gang Visits Arizona series of five boxes. I was working backwards on this series so I found the last box first. And then when I went to look for the fourth box I bumped into ggghiker and EdieSoCal. They were stamping into Got a Quarter? by the man with no name. They invited me to join them and then when that box was replaced we all looked for the fourth box in the Peanuts series. I found the box and we all stamped in. They continued on to the fifth box and headed in the opposite direction for the third box. I then bumped into Dawgdok. After visiting for a few minutes I continued on and finished the Peanuts series.

I then returned to the camp and got something to eat and also got a couple of exchanges and personal travelers. I also found Celebrating Leprechaun, The Rose & Le Pew and Lil' Abners: Spiderman. After this Lee, CherryOnTop and I headed to the other trail and went in search of two series and a single box. We found five boxes in the Favorite Comic Series by Wisconsin Hiker, and eight boxes in the Guardian of the Galaxy Series by Trishee and Steve Canyon by Martini Man. It was a nice hike and some nice boxes. We then returned to the camp and visited for a little while. Then it was time for me to head out since I had about an hour's drive back to Sierra Vista.

On the way out I stopped again for the box at the beginning of the road - this time I realized my mistake and found the right pullout and easily found Ghost of the Forest by Waneta Wench. Now it was time to get back to the hotel, take a shower and relax. I had eaten before leaving the camp so I didn't need to stop for food. Once back at the hotel I showered and then decided to get some things packed. I am ready to head home. So after logging some finds and then packing most of my things I wanted to get this post done. Now I am ready for the morning to head home. I had a great time in southeastern Arizona and the event was so much fun!

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails