This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Rock Creek Letterboxing

Thomas and I decided to take a weekend trip and head to Alamosa to spend time at Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve and at Zapata Falls. So we left Santa Fe sometime around 1:00pm and headed north. We just drove (no stopping) until we got about three miles outside of Alamosa. At this point we turned off of US 285 and onto CO 370 and drove west about 14 miles to CO 15. Here we turned north and headed toward Monte Vista. Two and a half miles before we reached Monte Vista we turned west onto W Co Rd 2 S which turns into Co Rd 28. After about four or five miles the road turned from asphalt to gravel. But the gravel part was really well maintained and the there was no washboard surface. We drove about 15 miles before reaching the campground. the drive turned from flat farmland to rocky, hilly and forested. It was absolutely beautiful. I am glad we made the drive out to the campground. I almost decided to skip it since it was far off the main road and it was on a gravel road but it turned out fine. When we arrived at the campground we followed the clues to the last camp site and then easily found the next landmark and then the box. I grabbed Jo Z Ro Z's Rock Creek Rocks and took it back to the car to stamp in. When I was done I replaced the box and then walked over to Rock Creek and took a few pictures.
On the return drive back to CO 15 we made quite a few stops to take pictures and enjoy the views. I am glad we decided to make the trip out to find this box. It was an absolutely incredible. Beautiful views, incredible rock formations and lovely scenery. It was well worth the drive - thanks Jo Z Ro Z for getting us out there, it was a fantastic drive.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails