This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Ten Years of Letterboxing

Today marks exactly 10 years to the day that I have been letterboxing - who knew that when I found that first box this would become an obsession. That first box was Santa Fe Trail by Silver Eagle found at Amelia White Park in Santa Fe. I remember that day well. We had some snow a couple of days before so there was still some lingering on the ground. It was also a cold and overcast day. But that didn't matter - I went ahead and found that box, took it back to a picnic table and stamped in as best I could while wearing gloves. I never imagined that 10 years and 4125 boxes later I would still remember the details of that day like it was yesterday. On my 5 year anniversary I planted a box in Amelia White Park (lionsmane's 5 Year Letterboxiversary) to commemorate that first day, first box and first place where I started the hobby. This year I am planting a series of 10 boxes to mark the 10th anniversary. And they won't be in Amelia White Park - it just isn't big enough. I had planned to plant them today but unfortunately I didn't get the logbook finished yet. All ten stamps are carved, I just have to get them in boxes and then I can go and plant them - I am hoping by the end of the week at the latest.
Every year since I started letterboxing I have gone out on February 16 and letterboxed and today was no different. I purposefully leave a few boxes in the Santa Fe and Albuquerque areas just for this day. I had clues for four boxes in Albuquerque and one in Santa Fe. It was somewhere around 8:00am when I left home to begin my journey. The drive down to Albuquerque was uneventful and I quickly arrived at my first destination - Academy Hills Park. There are two boxes in this park both planted by Origami Hen when she visited earlier this year. I first found High Desert Panda and took the box to a nearby picnic table to stamp in. The morning was a bit cool but the skies were clear and blue. When I was done stamping in I put the box back into its hiding spot. The other box - Howdy Kitty - was on the other side of the park. I decided to leave my car where it was and walked to that box. It wasn't very far and the walk was easy. I again had no problem finding this box and I took it to a bench to sit and stamp. I did have to be a little stealthy because there were quite a few walkers around. After getting the second box back in place I walked back to the car to continue on.

From the park I made my way to Uptown and more specifically the Albuquerque Marriott. Here I was in search of Where's George Series - Box #292: Dreamcatcher in Albuquerque by alexandria_ky and Where's George. This was a quick and easy find - it is just a magnetic key holder with only a stamp, no logbook. Once I nabbed the box I took it back to the car to stamp in. When I finished stamping I took the box back to its hiding spot. I then drove to the next box - Little Free Library Albuquerque - which wasn't very far away. I arrived and parked in front of the library, read the clue and then went and found the box. Again I stamped in while sitting in the car and then replaced the box.

So now I was finished in Albuquerque and it was time to head back up to Santa Fe. I decided to forego the traffic and boring drive on I25 and headed east on I40 to Tijeras and then took NM14 up to Santa Fe. A much prettier and calmer drive. I still had one more clue to find in Santa Fe so I made my way to the Rail Trail parking off of Rabbit Road. From the parking area it was only a short 10 minute walk to the box. It was a perfect afternoon - blue skies, light breeze and no other people on the trail. Here I found Toy Train Story by Astro D. There was a stone wall nearby and I sat there while stamping in. After replacing the box I took a few pictures and the returned to my car. It was a great day - thanks to everyone who has planted boxes in Albuquerque and Santa Fe and especially thanks to Astro D for the Toy Train Story box - fun, fun, fun! The last two days have been great and I had a wonderful 10th anniversary.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails