This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A Letterboxing Outing with Astro D

A while back I got two notices that my Alphabetical New Mexico: Q (Quarra) letterbox was MIA. Not too long ago Astro D and I went letterboxing up at Villanueva State Park (you can read about that at Lunch and a Letterbox) and we talked about taking a trip to Mountainair to check on my box and replace it if necessary. About a week ago I worked on recarving the image and putting the box together. I finished it on Monday evening and got things together so that Astro D and I could make the trip today.


At around 9:00am Astro D arrived at my house and then we were off. We decided to drive south on NM14 to CR42. This took us to Galisteo. At this point we turned right onto NM41. We followed this road through Stanley, Moriaty, McIntosh and Estancia. Then we took NM542to NM55 and we finally arrived at place where this box is hidden. It was a beautiful day, temperatures in the high 80's with brillant blue skies. There were a few people at the site but it wasn't too busy. We took a paved trail from the vsitors center and walked leisurely to the hiding spot for the box. We both searched but didn't find the box. I was pretty sure it was gone but there were a lot of dead leaves and some very prickly bushes so I am not sure I searched as thoroughly as I could have. I did have a new box to plant so finding the old one wasn't that important. I decided that I wanted to placed the new box in a different spot so we took a walk and found another trail and what we both thought was a better hiding spot. After hiding the box and writing out the clues we continued our walk until we arrived back at the visitors center. It was a great visit and I am glad this box is active again.


We left the area and started our drive back home. We took NM55 to NM337 - this brought us up to Tijeras. We stopped here for a bit of lunch and then took NM14 back to my house. It was a nice day trip and I am happy that I got to replace the box. I have now updated the clues and hopefully this box will not go missing.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails