This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Knocked Down - Again!

I was going to post about my last day in Las Cruces but I decided I don't want to write about the day.
"Boxing" Gloves
I did plant another box today but I am holding off on logging it in because I sure I will upset someone - maybe in a week or so I will post it.
When I got back to the hotel I read a post on one of the talk list that just bashed me and lots of people threw in their two cents worth. I guess I am not strong enough for the cut-throat world of letterboxing. I am thin skinned and sensitive and take criticism really personally. So I am going to take a break for a while.

7 comments :

Mole said...

Of course, I'm in the dark on the specifics here, but I wanted you to know that I think highly of you, and yours was the first box that truly impressed me.

I have an idea . . . save all of those wonderful carves and ideas for planting here. I assure you, they will be warmly received.

halfencer said...

I'm sorry people can be so cruel and stupid. Please don't tell me about these talk lists you frequent.

Laura said...

oh Mark,

just stay off the lists. The lists are bad. Letterboxing is still great.

I don't go on any lists or chat boards any more, but Mother of Five and I had an absolutely amazing day letterboxing on Tuesday. It took us two and half hours onsite to decode clues, but it was worth every minute.

Feel better. I treasure your boxes. You have lots of fans out there.

dewberry/laura

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I too am thin skinned and sensitive and take criticism personally. But try not to hold it against the entire letterboxing community. As you know, most letterboxers are pretty nice folks.
You've had the pleasure of meeting many of them during your travels.

But there will always be mean and insensitive people in just about every group. I know it's difficult, but we just have to rise above them and not give them the satisfaction of knowing they hurt us.
I know this may sound silly, but a mantra I use, that somehow gives me a sense of peace when someone says something rude or mean to me, is saying:
"They know not what they do"

Just saying those 6 little words helps me feel tolerance and understanding, and even pity for those that hurt me.

Don't let them get to you, ok? The letterboxing community would be sorely lacking without you and your kindness, helpfulness, and experience.

~Twinville Trekkers

Amanda from Seattle said...

Noooooo, don't stop letterboxing, just stop reading what people say...that's what I do anyway. I just don't ready that stuff delete delete delete

Amanda from Seattle said...

Noooooo don't take a break from letterboxing, just take a break from reading stuff. Don't listen to those people. I don't listen. I just do whatever I want to :-)

-Amanda from Seattle

hal said...

I hope we've told you before how much we appreciate your introduction of letterboxing to us, your continual mentoring of us newbies, and for your enthusiasm for finding our silly letterboxes. I think I'll skip the talk list aspect of letterboxing, however. It doesn't seem as joyful and the planting and hunting part.

Related Posts with Thumbnails