This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Six Feet Above

I planted this box on May 24, 2006. It is in one of my favorite cemeteries.

Six Feet Above

In January 2007 I received an email . . .


The tomb is currently covered with a silver tarpaulin, although it's no problem getting underneath it to find the box. I don't know if this is a recent development, or a sign of an intention to do work on the tomb in the future.

I worried that this meant that the box would eventually go missing. In April 2007 my letterboxing buddy Astro D attempted to find the box, after a phone call while she was at the cemetery it was confirmed that the box was indeed missing.

Fast forward to April 2008 . . . I received this email . . .

Hello there! I was in New Orleans for the very first time this weekend. I did not take my Letterboxing gear as I didn't think I would have enough time. I was in Lafayette Cemetery, and came across a letterbox by accident, inside of a huge urn. I wrote in the log book, but didn't have enough time to look through it. I got back home and looked it up, and found that it was your "Six Feet Above" letterbox. It's not where your clue said it is, but it's still in the cemetery. I have to be honest.... I don't recall exactly where it was, but I will look through my pictures and do some searches online to see if I see the tomb. It's in good shape (other than the fact that one of the lid-tabs has broken off). I hid it better in the bottom of the urn covered by some bricks.

So I owe a great big Thank You to Grosse Pointe Wine Lover for literally resurrecting my letterbox. Below you will find information that will help you search for the box. If anyone is heading to New Orleans please let me know and maybe you could help me find a better hiding place until I can make it down to Louisiana and rehide it myself.






6 comments :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I really love the photo you are using now at the top of your blog...so majestic and vintage looking, too. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that your box has been found. You built up a lot of good letterboxing karma from finding my Triceratops box last year. It was time for the karma to work for you ;-)

Front Range Hiker

John and Diane said...

I can't believe a fellow LBer found that box totally by accident AND that it was Grosse Point Wine Lover! Hooray! Very cool story.
-D

NewMexicoSky said...

hello,

i live in new orleans, i can help with your box if you want.

sk

Anonymous said...

Hi. My family and I are traveling to New Orleans next weekend from Memphis, and we wanted to look for your "Six Feet Above" box (it sounds like it's had an interesting life), but I couldn't find your temporary clues on your website. Could you please let me know where to look? Thank you. The Queen Bee's Knees

Mark said...

Hi New Mexico Sky,
I am going to be in New Orleans in October, so I will be able to take care of the box - but I do appreciate the offer and I may take you up on it in the future.
lionsmane

Related Posts with Thumbnails