This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Perfect Day for Letterboxing

Early this morning Thomas left for Oklahoma City for work. So I decided (since I was awake) that I would go to Albuquerque for a little letterboxing. I had plans to replant 5 boxes that I had pulled last year and to hunt for 8 boxes that had been hidden this year. It was a little chilly when I left Santa Fe so I wore a light jacket but by the time I reached Albuquerque it had warmed up and I didn't need the jacket anymore. The day turned out perfect. It was just the right temperature with only a little breeze. I couldn't have planned it any better.

My first stop was UNM, I needed to replant my Koi Fish box. Sunday morning is a great time to go to this spot. Not a single soul in sight - so it was easy to hide. I put it back in the same exact spot so I didn't need to change the clues. I next went to Urban Forest Park to rehide that box. Again, no one in sight - an easy hide and also in the same spot. So on to my first find. This box was hidden at Los Altos Skate Park and the stamp was carved by a 7 year old. I thought it was pretty darn good for a 7 year old. Once it was rehidden I drove to Carnuel off of I40. I parked at the trailhead for the Three Gun Springs Trail. Once I reached the wilderness boundary I took the Hawk Watch Trail. It was quite a hike. Probably one and a half miles one way and quite a lot of elevation. But it was worth it! I hiked to the box and found it easily enough. This box is one in a series of eight that are being planted by Girl Scouts as they work toward their Bronze Award. I got to see a hawk while stamping in but unfortunately I wasn't fast enough with the camera. I rehid the box and made my way back down the trail. The views were terrific and I really enjoyed this hike. Embudo Canyon was my next destination. This was a much shorter hike and an easy find. This box was planted by Hez, Grumpy and Mona when they visited the state in early March.

By this time I was getting hungry so I made a quick stop for a little lunch and some much needed water. I drank all that I had on the Hawk Watch Trail. After eating, filling the car with gas and getting some bottled water I went a little further up Tramway and turned on Montgomery and made my way up to the Embudito Canyon Trailhead. Here I was looking for two boxes. These were also planted by the Girl Scouts. The first box was just a little ways up the trail but then I had to do a little rock scrambling to actually get to the box. I found the box and stamped in - I also made sure to get some information from the logbook so I could find the second box. Once the box was back in place I headed to the trail that was mention in the logbook and then followed the clues for the box. Another easy find - and a great little hike. I really enjoyed this spot. The box was hidden under an oak tree and I got to stamp in the shade. There was also a small waterfall nearby. Okay, now I was going to rehide my Los Vaqueros box. So I made a quick stop at Elena Gallegos Park and put the box in the exact spot it was in before. Leaving the park I checked the time and realized I had enough time to head to Rio Grande Nature Center to find three more boxes that the Girl Scouts had planted. I had a little trouble finding a parking spot at the nature center and worried that if there was that many people I would have trouble being discreet. My worries were unfounded. Once I hit the trails I realized there weren't that many people around and I didn't have any trouble. I found all three boxes without any problems and enjoyed the warm day just walking around the bosque. There were a few birds hanging around - mostly ducks and geese.

Okay now, enough is enough, right. Even with letterboxing you have to call it a day sometimes. I decided to not worry about replanting my other two boxes. So I am home now and am enjoying my memories of the day!

2 comments :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! What a busy and fun day letterboxing!

You should have let us know you were heading out to the mountains. Maybe you could have fit us in and stopped by for a refreshment and snack to refuel you for some more 'boxing! hehe

I had no idea there were so many new boxes in the area.
If this crazy wind ever stops blowing, I want to get back out there and find those boxes, too!

John and Diane said...

Yeah! Glad you replanted those boxes! And yeah for all those new LBs in 'Burque.
-D

Related Posts with Thumbnails