This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, July 16, 2010

'In Spite of All the Danger' I Took 'The Long and Winding Road'

I woke up this morning and had the feeling that I wanted to do something fun and relaxing. Twinville Trekkers had been up in Santa Fe a couple of days ago and planted a couple of boxes before they left to return home. So some letterboxing seemed like a good thing to do and this letterboxing would take me on one of my favorite drives - Hyde Park Road. Hyde Park Road (aka Artist Road, NM 475, Little Ski Basin Road) starts just outside downtown Santa Fe and goes for about 15 miles ending at the Santa Fe Ski Basin. It is a beautiful drive anytime of the year but my favorite time is Autumn. The aspens changing color are incredibly beautiful. Anyway, I digress.

So this morning I gathered the clues I needed and my letterboxing things and headed up to the mountain. As I drove up the road I was keeping my eye out for a good place to hide a box. I had a box with me that has needed planting for about a week now. This box was sent to me by Shorty. It is part of the Pin Up Stamp Swap 2 tracker. I will get back to this box later. My first stop was about eight or nine miles up the road. It was a pullout with a sign indicating that the road ahead was very curvy. I pulled over, read the clues and found the box just up a slight hill, behind a tree, covered with rocks. I took the box back to my car to stamp. It was a nice stamp and I got a first finder certificate as well. I stamped in and got everything back into the box and got the box back into its hiding spot. Time to continue on.

I drove another four or five miles up the mountain enjoying the views while listening to the radio. So relaxing! I pulled into the parking area for the NorSki Trail. This time it wasn't a drive by but it wasn't a long or hard hike either. I gathered the things I needed and followed the clues up the trail. The walk was only about a quarter of a mile but it was beautiful. Lots of green and lots of wildflowers. I also saw quite a few butterflies. I reached the landmark I was looking for and easily found the box. I found a nice big rock to sit on and stamp in. Another nice stamp and a second first finder certificate as well as incredible surroundings. After stamping in and replacing the box I walked a little further up the trail and took some pictures before turning around and heading back to the car.

So now I needed to head back down and decide on a spot to hide the box I had with me. As I drove down I had an idea of where I could plant the box. As I drove through Hyde Memorial State Park and exited the southern end I came to Black Canyon Campground. I pulled in here and parked in the trailhead parking area. I headed out to the area where I wanted to hide the box. It took me about 30 minutes to find just the right spot but I am glad I persisted - I found the perfect spot. Very peaceful and quite lovely. I think finders will enjoy sitting here and stamping into Pin Up Stamp Swap 2: Tess. Remember I hid the box but the logbook and stamp were created by Shorty. It is an image of a pin up but is tastefully done (no nudity) so it shouldn't offend anyone and it is a beautiful carving. But if you are prudish you might want to steer clear of this one.


My journey was now complete so I headed back into Santa Fe and reality. I ran errands and then headed home. All in all a very enjoyable day.

1 comment :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great title! We're glad you enjoyed the boxes and stamps. It is so enjoyable hiking above Santa Fe. Such lovely trails you have there.

I look forward to finding the Pin Up box soon. I've always liked the old time pin-up girls art. Most are very stylish and classy.

~Lisa
Twinville Trekkers

Related Posts with Thumbnails