This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Monday, February 15, 2010

A Trip to Tucson (Part II)

Spending the Day at the Molino Basin Campground
Monday, February 15, 2010

This morning was a typical morning of waking up, getting ready and eating breakfast - nothing special. Once things were in place and the car loaded we wanted to run one quick errand before starting our letterboxing day. We drove to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona to give them the information on the dog we found yesterday. We brought the collar and gave them directions to finding the dog. We also left our names and numbers if anyone had any questions. They seemed to be grateful that we brought in the information. And with that done we drove back up the mountain. Today we decided to hike some trails that started at the Molino Basin Campground. First we looked for two boxes in the campground. We found 6th @ Molino pretty easily but were stumped by the second box. We followed the clues but came up empty handed - I am not sure if I didn't understand them or if I just couldn't find the box. After about 20 minutes we decided to move on. We left the campground and crossed the Catalina Highway to the Bellota Trail/Arizona Trail. Our goal was to find Azroadie's Sonoran Desert Animals 2009 Series. I guess we hiked about a mile, maybe a mile and a half and found all five boxes. It was a great way to start the day. A beautiful morning in the Santa Catalinas and five more wonderful Azroadie boxes.

Next we crossed back over the road and walked back into the campground. We drove to the back of the campground and parked near the trail head for the Molino Basin Trail. From the trail head you walk up a short distance to a junction. We took the left turn and walked a half mile or so and found two nice letterboxes - Lame Duc Visits Arizona and 5th @ Molino. After stamping in and rehiding the boxes we made our way back to the junction. We now went the other direction. We were searching for New England Sugar Shack and after walking a little ways up the trail we found it. We stamped in and rehid the box and then talked about what to do next. We decided to hike the trail to the Prison Camp. The place where we had parked to hike the Sycamore Reservoir Trail. There were seven boxes somewhere on that trail that we wanted to find. So we had a great two mile hike. We arrived at the Prison Camp and then read the clues for the boxes and started to make our way back to Molino Basin Campground. We reached the landmark for the Stocking Stuffer Series by angel1551us. This series has six boxes - they are planted pretty close together at different places off the trail. You had to find one to find the other because the clue always started from the hiding spot of the box before it (except the first one - she had the starting point for that one in the clue). It took a little time to find all the boxes but it was worth it. One more box to go - Azroadie's Arizona National Scenic Trail. We found the first landmark and followed the rest of the clues and found the box. A nice simple stamp of the Arizona Trail logo used on the trail markers. After rehiding the box we enjoyed a leisurely walk with a cool breeze following us.

Back at the car we realized that we were tired. After hiking out in the sun for most of the day we were just plain worn out. But we were also hungry, so on the way back to the hotel we stopped for dinner. We are now showered and relaxing in the hotel room and ready for tomorrow.

All Around Tucson and Ending in Tucson Mountain Park
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Happy Mardi Gras!

Well today is my 4th letterboxing anniversary. I found my first letterbox (Santa Fe Trail Microbox by Silver Eagle) four years ago today. So I thought I would start the day by finding a box by my letterboxing buddy - Astro D. She has a box called Saguaro Sunsets in Tucson off Picture Rocks Road. The trail where the box is located is wonderful, the area is completely covered with saguaros, jumping chollas, ocotillo, prickly pear and a host of other cacti. We arrived at the trail around 8:30am and it was just a short walk to two stately saquaros that were the landmarks to find the box. I quickly located the box and found a safe place to stamp - I did mention that the area is covered in sharp, spiky things. The stamp is incredible - a three part stamp that ends up being saguaros silhouetted against a sunset thus the name of the box. We saw so many birds in the area as well. I won't pretend to know what kind of birds just that there were a lot of them. It was such a wonderful spot, a fantastic stamp and an incredible letterboxing moment -what a way to start off my 4th anniversary - thanks Astro D for another great box.

In this area there were three other boxes I wanted to look for before we headed off. We first tried to find Wee Willie Winkie but came up empty handed. I think we were in the right place but I couldn't make heads or tails once we were there. Nothing made sense, nothing matched anything in the clues so after 20 minutes we decided to move on. So we found a park and quickly located Go Fetch! Hitchhiker Hostel. I had four hitchhikers with me. So after stamping into the box's logbook I took one hitchhiker and left three in the box. So that left me with two - one of which is in a race with three other hitchhikers to see who makes it to Houston first. From here we made our way to find Larry Lizard Loves to Read and find him we did. It was a clever hide and a nice stamp. I stamped in and rehid the box and once back in the car we looked at our clues to see where to head to next. I had mapped things out so after consulting said map I decided on looking for The False Inspector Dew. Another great hide by the same person that placed Larry Lizard. And the box was hidden in the same manner as Larry Lizard. Again I loved the stamp and hiding spot.

At this point things took a turn for the worst. We headed to University Blvd. and 4th St. to look for the first box of the All Souls Procession Series. Finding somewhere to park was a challenge and we ended up parking about three blocks away from the hiding spot. Thomas stayed with the car and I walked to the area and followed the clues. I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that I was in the right spot. But all I found was a pile of rocks - no box. I did a little search of the area but found nothing. So I returned to the car and after looking at the map we decided to look for Apparition: Alfred Hitchcock. We found the hiding spot and parked then I had to wait until there were no cars or people around because the hiding spot is smack dab in the middle. Once the coast was clear I went to retrieve the box. I had to maneuver carefully because a cholla cactus was guarding the hiding spot. WooHoo I found the box, so I took it back to the car to stamp in. But it wasn't that simple, when I opened the box there was only a logbook - no stamp. I am guessing that the last finder forgot to put it back in the box and drove away with it in their car - only speculating here. Anyway, I decided to stamp in (just not to count it as a find) and leave a note that I found it and that the stamp was missing when I did find it. I replaced the box in its hiding spot and we headed off to find box 2 in the All Souls Procession Series. We got to the area and located the hiding spot and made our way to it. I found the box just where it was supposed to be. Unfortunately, the stamp and logbook were gone and in their place were slips of paper with notes on them. By this time I was a little disappointed. Once we were back in the car I decided to forgo three other boxes in the same area (it seemed to be jinxed). We headed a little ways away and went to search for MDCLXXIII. We made it to the location and found the huge landmark. Then we started looking for the rest of the clue. It took about 10 minutes to locate a couple of numbers and a word but once we did the box was there and the stamp and logbook were in it. So I stamped in and was glad to be back on track (pun intended). By this time we were hungry and we realized it was actually lunch time. So we found a little sandwich shop and enjoyed a wonderful meal out on the patio (did I mention that the weather was absolutely gorgeous the whole time we were in Tucson - sunny and in the mid '70's). After lunch I studied the map and decided on two more boxes in the near vicinity of where we had lunch. So off we went. Our first challenge was to scour S. Arizona Ave. and find the most peaceful spot. It took us two passes to located the clue but once we did all the other parts fell into place and I located the box. Then I was able to Breathe! I stamped in while sitting in the car and then replaced the box. On to the next stop. The next box we looked for was Railroad Pennies. We found a box similar to this one on day one of the trip in Las Cruces, NM. The box is hidden near some railroad tracks and pennies are placed on the track for the trains to flatten them when they pass. I didn't have a problem finding the box but I was only able to find a couple of pennies. I took one and left about eight more for the next finder. I went back to the car to stamp into the box. While I was stamping in a train passed and flattened the pennies. So I finished stamping in and went to replace the box and I also looked at all the flattened pennies that are now waiting for someone else to find them.

At this point I decided I was down with being in the city so we headed for Tucson Mountain Park. To get there we went from Ajo Way. I wanted to find another of Azroadie's Geology 101 stamps. It was on an unmarked trail off of Ajo Way. We first stopped at the wrong spot and luckily I realized it before we had gone too far. So we continued a little further and found the right area. The box was just a short way up the trail and we found it quickly. After stamping in and rehiding the box we headed back to the car. From here we drove to Kinney Rd. and more specifically to Ironwood Picnic Area. We parked at the far end and found the trail. We were searching for Azroadie's Sonoran Desert Animals 2008 Series. His clues took us all over the area and we were successful in finding all five of the boxes. We enjoyed our walk in the area except for one spot that was covered in jumping chollas. We were careful here to stay in the middle of the trail and to circumvent any in the way to finding the box. Luckily we left the area unscathed. We had a nice time and we saw some rabbits and quite a few birds and thankfully no snakes. Before leaving the picnic area we stopped to find Picnic Pause by Desert Flower which was near the area we were in. It was a quick find and a nice box. It had been a long day and we were both getting tired and hungry. But we wanted to do one more thing. We drove up Kinney Rd. to Gates Pass Rd. and made our way to the Gates Pass Lookout. We parked and made our way to the viewing area and watched the sunset. It was a great way to end our trip to Tucson. Once the sun had set we drove back into town and found a place to eat. The only thing left to do is to pack, get some rest and make our way home tomorrow.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails