This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Letterbox Check-Up

This morning I decided to do some checking on my boxes in the downtown Santa Fe area. I am happy to report that all of the boxes are alive and well but there are a few little things I need to report.

I started my checks on Canyon Road. I parked at the beginning of Canyon Road near Paseo de Peralta and started my walk. I parked very near one of the boxes and checked on it - it was in place and everything associated with the clues was accurate so I moved onto the next box. I only had to go a little ways for the next one and it was in place. Unfortunately when I reached for the box I hit it and pushed it out of reach for my hand. My hand was a little too big to reach in so the box may be a little too far back for some people to reach - I hope to rectify that problem. (Note: this box is hidden next to a telephone pole - there is a yellow, metal, half-circle sleeve next to the pole. That covers a pipe inside. The box is suppose to attached to the inside of the yellow metal not to the pipe inside. Unfortunately, it was on the pipe when I reached in and that is how I hit and moved it too far back. Please attach it to the yellow part inside when replacing it - Thanks!) I am hoping that someone with a smaller hand can get to the box and place it more in reach. Time to continue on. I reached my next box and had to make a decision. The clue for this box is a photo collage and about a week ago I was on Canyon Road and noticed that a major landmark for the box was gone. After looking at the photo clue and looking at the hiding spot I made the decision that the box was still findable so I left it in place. At some point later on I may move it but we will see. I was still on Canyon Road so I checked on an artTrekker box - it was in place and safe - I don't know why I checked on it because I knew it was safe because Astro D had checked on it recently. Now I took a side road and headed toward downtown and on the way I checked on another box - absolutely no problem with this box. I made my way to Alameda and checked on a box hidden along this road - it was in the right spot and safe so I continued on. From Alameda I walked into the downtown area just skirting the Plaza and checked on a box that I had not checked on in quite a while - this box doesn't get many finders so I was a little nervous that it might be missing - but alas my fears were for naught - the box was there and well hidden - that made me happy. From here I moved a little further away from the Plaza and checked on a box that I have had a few problems with. The sculpture that I originally use for the box was taken away and since the box was attached to the box was also taken away. Luckily rubberpeace happened to see them taking a part of the sculpture away and got a phone number so that I was able to retrieve the box. Then when I went to rehide the box I ended up knocking my head on a statue. I eventually moved the box to its current location and not long ago received a note that it was missing. Astro D and I went and checked on it and sure enough it wasn't where it should have been. But Astro D's keen eyes spotted it right in front of us in the open - so we moved it to the correct spot and I am happy to report it is still there. The next box took me on a little walk even further away from the Plaza. I love this spot, it is peaceful and has great views. The box was in good shape and right where it should be. Now I headed back to the Plaza area. I checked on another artTrekker box and it was in place so I moved on to my next box. This box went missing once and I replaced it almost in the exact same spot so I get really nervous that it may go missing again. But when I sat on the bench and reached under it there was the box. I only had one more to check on and this one is just off the sidewalk at a pretty busy intersection and can be hard to be discreet. So when I reached the area I stood there, looked around and when the coast was clear I reached in and found the box. WOOHOO!!! All the boxes were in place, that made me very happy. Now, you may have noticed that I haven't mentioned any box names and I have been very vague about the spots. All of my boxes that I checked on today are mysteries or semi-mysteries so I didn't want to give anything away. But now you know that if you look for any of my boxes in downtown Santa Fe they should be there.

The other thing I did while checking on these boxes was to look for another statue for another box. I am about to retire another signature stamp and need a place to hide a new box. I found only three statues that could possibly work - I need to have a metal surface near the statue that can hide a magnetic key holder. It can be really hard to find good spots, especially ones that allow the finder to be discreet and that will not be noticed by the casual walker-by. Hopefully soon I can hide a new box and post those clues. I had a good walk and am happy that all those boxes are alive.

1 comment :

John and Diane said...

That's great that they are all there - that's because you picked good hidey holes! I'll try and move that box by the light pole, I'm down there a lot and have little hands.
-D

Related Posts with Thumbnails