This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

A Letterboxing and Visiting Weekend

This afternoon Thomas and I left Santa Fe to make our way to Silver City. This trip was planned so I could plant some new boxes and update some old boxes and visit some areas of the state that we have been wanting to see. This post is just about the letterboxing part of the trip and you can read about the rest of the trip by going to A Gila Wilderness Weekend.

We didn't have a lot of letterboxing planned for today especially since we left Santa Fe after 2:30pm and we didn't want to get to Silver City too late. We took I 25 south and then we took Exit 63 and headed west on NM 152. This highway from I 25 to Kingston is part of two New Mexico Scenic Byways - Lake Valley Backcountry and Geronimo Trial. I have one box hidden on this road that needed to be updated - Alphabetical New Mexico: L (Aldo Leopold). I have been trying to update all my Alphabetical New Mexico boxes so that they all coordinate (same size box and logbooks that match - this way when someone finds a box they know that it is part of a series). This particular box is hidden at Emory Pass Vista which is about 32 miles from I 25. The road is two lane and winding so it is slow going, but extremely scenic. When we arrived at Emory Pass and pulled into the parking area there was an RV parked toward the back. I was hoping they were busy and not paying any attention to us because where my box is hidden was in plain view of the RV. I took some pictures around the area where the box is hidden and Thomas looked to see if they were looking out their window at us. When the coast was clear I grabbed the old box and put the new box in its place. I was glad to get this changed out and once that was done we were free to look around and then complete our journey to Silver City. So letterboxing for the weekend has begun.

During our drive I kept making Thomas stop so I could take pictures. The views were amazing and there were bunches of wildflowers everywhere. Here are a few pictures of the views and wildflowers.
Aster
View from Emory Pass Vista
Scarlett Gilia
View from Near Little Bear Canyon
Morning Glory
View Looking Towards Aspen Mountain

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails