This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Monday, June 27, 2016

A Little Letterboxing in Cheyenne

My plan for today was to drive to Cheyenne and letterbox there for the day. I didn't get out of bed until 8:00am and it was 9:00am before I left Laramie. When I arrived in Cheyenne I took I25 south and then took Exit 2.
Rock Formations
This took me to Terry Bison Ranch Road which then turned into the Frontage Road. I was looking for Seattle Bound's Roaming Wyoming letterbox which was on the Frontage Road near some large rock outcrops. I parked and then followed the clues. I believed I was in the right spot but I didn't find the box. So I decided to start again and see if it led me to the same spot - it did. So I returned to my car and headed back the way I came. On the way back to I25 I stopped at the Welcome to Wyoming sign (not on I25 but on the Frontage Road) and looked for VIENNA's Snow Much Fun box. There really wasn't anywhere to park so I just parked on the road (there was no traffic at all) ant easily grabbed the box. I took it to the car and then drove a little ways up the road to a gated road. I stamped in here so that I was out of the way in case anyone drove by (no one did). When I was done I drove back to the hiding spot and replaced the box - This was a store bought stamp which isn't my favorite but is was an easy drive by and I was there already. Also this box is in a small (maybe 2 inches square) little tupperware container and it was all brittle and broken. Unfortunately I didn't have any baggies or boxes to replace it. Once the box was back in place I got back on I25 and headed north and took Exit 4 to the Southeast Wyoming Welcome Center. Here I looked for and found flat tire's I-25 Wyoming: Roadkill box and The Woodshed's To WY From CO Purple Mountain Majestical Greetings box.
Welcome Center Sign
One was outside the center and the other was inside the center. This is a really nice Welcome Center - they have lots of space, quite a few covered picnic tables and a walking path outside and inside they have a wonderful exhibit featuring dinosaur bones, information on the territorial prison and other things related to Wyoming. I spent about 40 minutes here and then continued on. I was back on I25 and took Exit 7. I was looking for Celestini's Gotta Go, Gotta Go box. The clue stated to go to the Welcome Center and look for "The Greeting and the Gift" which is a statue. I think that since this box was planted that things have changed. The Welcome Center is at Exit 4 and that is where the statue is. At the place the clue said to go to it is now the Department of Motor Vehicles. But I tried to follow the clues anyway but had no luck finding the box. I think these clues really need an update.

Next I went into Cheyenne and stopped at the library. I looked for Her Alligator's Picnic Perfect: Lunch Break box. Thc clue started off good and I was finding all the landmarks until I got to the last 2 things I was looking for - I couldn't find them at all and after three passes I decided to call it quits. It was a little after noon and I decided to head back to Laramie and make one more stop at a Rest Area on the way. The reason I decided to cut the day short is that about two weeks ago during my morning walk I all of a sudden had a sharp shooting pain in my right foot. I still had about a mile to go to get back to my car so I just slowed down so the pain wouldn't get worse. When I got home I elevated my foot and put some ice on it. At first I thought I had strained a ligament but after a week the pain was the same and it didn't feel like it was getting any better. So after procrastinating for that week I decided to go to Urgent Care. By this time I was pretty sure it was muscle or ligament related and I was pretty confident that I had a stress fracture and that is what I told the doctor at Urgent Care. After three x-rays it was confirmed - I had a hairline stress fracture of the 2nd metatarsal. The doctor gave me a walking boot and told me not to put wait on my foot - any time I was up walking I had to have the boot on. The first day or two I was a good patient and used the boot at all times. But then I needed to run errands and I couldn't drive with the boot on my right foot. So when I went out I wasn't wearing it.
Lincoln at Summit Rest Area
Also, yesterday and today while I was out letterboxing I wasn't wearing it. So by noon today my foot and ankle were beginning to hurt and I decided to return to the hotel and put the boot on and rest. But first I stopped at the Summit Rest Area about 10 miles east of Laramie. They have a nice information center and a very large bust of Abraham Lincoln.I looked for Grumpy Grinch's Western Work box and TaiChi and ChaiTea's Maybe We CAN all get along box. I didn't have any luck finding either of these boxes and now I was really ready to get back to the hotel.

When I got back I got some ice and elevated my foot and iced it. Then I sat and read until Thomas was done with his conference. He got back about 4:00pm and then we decided to go out for dinner. Since Thomas was driving I kept my boot on to protect my foot. As I am writing this I still have the boot on and my foot feels much better. I will have to see what I can do tomorrow.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails