This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

5 Year Letterboxing Anniversary

Back in November 2005 while searching the internet for information about personal journaling I came across something called letterboxing. I took a little time to read about it but then moved on to my original project. A few weeks later I went back to the letterboxing information and read more. It really captured my interest and I kept reading as much as I could and then gathered the materials to carve my first signature stamp. Then on February 16, 2006 I ventured out on a very cold morning to find my first letterbox. That box was Silver Eagle's Santa Fe Trails Microbox. As I sat on a cold picnic bench and stamped in I knew I was hooked. So here it is five years later and I am still hooked.

So to celebrate this day I decided to go letterboxing. My first order of business was to get a box planted. I put a box together to commemorate this anniversary and I wanted it planted today. I
made my way to Amelia White Park and found a good place to hide the box - the box is called lionsmane's 5 Year Letterboxiversary. I picked this park to plant the box in because this is where I found my first box 5 years ago today. After the box was placed and the clues written I decided to check on Silver Eagle's box just make sure it was still in place - and it was. Now to go and find some letterboxes.

I left Santa Fe and headed south to Albuquerque and drove to the Volcano Area of the Petroglyph National Monument to find Wronghat's Volcano Aslumber. You may have read my post; Volcanoes - 1, lionsmane - 0, where I attempted to find this box once before. I am not sure why I had problems finding this box on that visit because today I found it without any trouble. Once I retrieved the box I looked for a nice spot to sit and stamp. I found a nice flat rock with great views of the Sandias and enjoyed Wronghat's carving. After stamping in I decided to walk the entire area before returning to my car. I had a great morning at the Volcanoes.

My next stop was to find another of Twinville Trekkers' Beatles Series. Finding the box was pretty easy - but retrieving it was much more difficult. This was a very busy area and I had to wait for a little while before I could grab it and then again I had some difficulty putting it back in place. But with a little patience and stealth I managed to not get caught. I am enjoying the Trekkers' Beatles Series and I really liked this stamp.

I had a great day of letterboxing and it was a perfect way to celebrate my anniversary. Thanks to all who have planted boxes that have helped me to enjoy this hobby.

1 comment :

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Congrats again on your 5 years. Your Anniversary box was a really nice. It also gave us another reason to stop by and try to hunt for Silver Eagle's box again. Seems we were off about 12 feet. It was even more meaningful for us to find both your box and the box that started your letterboxing journey all on the same day.

I'm glad you were finally able to locate Wronghat's boxes, too. He's one clever and sneaky dude with his clues.

Speaking of which, we are only one step away from finding your Santa Fe Walking Tour after we finally decided to come up and spend the night in a motel to work on the clues. If we had kept doing day trips, it would have taken us 3 more trips to Santa Fe. One final trip and we should have it solved.

Oh! And that's great you found another one of our Beatles Series boxes. :)

~Twinville Trekkers

Related Posts with Thumbnails