This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, August 14, 2009

A Vulture, Stoned Wood, Teepees, Ghost Town and Lava

I continued my westward journey this morning back on I40 heading into Arizona. I got a pretty early start and found my first box in Sanders. The box is called Voracious Vulture and at first I thought that it was missing and that my day was starting off on the wrong side of the stamp. The first thing I noticed was that a tree that was mentioned in the clue was gone (well not actually gone - just cut back - and the branches were piled up off to the side). But I looked for the box using the other clues and I found a pile of rocks but no box. So I started looking around and found the box out in the open about ten feet from where it should have been. After stamping in I rehid the box in the original spot and I hope I hid it well enough now that the tree is gone and the area isn't as concealed. Back on the highway I headed for my next destination - Holbrook. But I got distracted. I saw a sign for the Petrified Forest and since it has been at least 15 years since I last visited this place I decided to take a detour. I wasn't really thinking and forgot that Arizona doesn't follow Daylight Savings and it wasn't quite 7:00am. I ended up having to wait about 15 minutes for the park to open. It was worth it. I forgot how incredible this place is. I drove the entire park and stopped at almost every pullout and took tons of pictures. It was a wonderfully relaxing morning. I got to the park before the crowds and was able to enjoy the drive with traffic. When I got to the end of the park I decide to take US180 to Holbrook instead of driving back through the park and hitting I40. Best idea of the day, a nice quiet drive.

Once in Holbrook I made my way to the Wigwam Motel to find 'Sleep in Wigwam!' and 'Wigwam Motel - Nakii'. I loved both boxes and I didn't have any problems finding them. After stamping in and rehiding the boxes I walked around and took pictures. It got me thinking - I wish I could go back in time and spend two or three weeks visiting towns like Holbrook and driving Route 66 in its heyday. Okay enough daydreaming - on to the next box. I had to drive a few miles south of Holbrook to find a Convoy left by Kristal and Ron. It was an easy find and I was on my way again. I rejoined I40 and drove about 50 miles just to visit some ghosts. Well actually just a ghost town - I didn't actually see any ghosts. As I exited the highway and made my way into Two Guns I was taken aback. Quite a few buildings and all of them falling apart. I drove up to the building with a sign advertising Mountain Lions. From here I began my search for the letterbox. I ended up near a bridge sitting on the edge of Canyon Diablo while stamping into the box. When I first got to the area I was a little worried because there seemed so many spots where snakes could hide. So before walking around I read the clues and threw rocks near the area to make sure no creepy crawlies were there. Once I knew it was safe I reached for the box. I actually enjoyed sitting there - it was kind of peaceful and relaxing - just what I needed. After spending about 30 minutes walking around I headed for Flagstaff.

Once in town I made my way to a park to hunt for a series of three boxes. Unfotunately there was a "Trail Closed" sign where I needed to go. So I changed my plans and headed out to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument. Two boxes here and I decided to look for the one that was further in the park. So I drove to the parking area for the Lava Flow Trail. I picked up a trail guide and headed out. I needed to find post #11. The trail was a little confusing and it took me a while to find the landmark. Once there I looked for the next landmark - a pine tree shading the trail and the next, a tall snag. So I walked up to the snag, located the compass bearing and found the box. I was a little skeptical that I would find it because on AQ there were three attempts on this box, but it was right where it should be and the view from the box was of the crater and it was beautiful. After rehiding the box I drove back to the entrance and pulled into the O'Leary Campground. I parked and headed up the trail to the lookout. I only had to go in about a quarter of a mile to reach the landmark. I found the box, stamped in and put the box back in its hiding spot. I decided that I was done letterboxing for the day and wasn't sure when or if I would ever be back to this park so I continued my walk for about two miles before turning around and heading back to the car. It was still pretty early so I drove back into the park and hiked the Lenox Crater Trail. By the time I got back to the car I was tired and decided to find a hotel and get some rest. I am not sure what I am doing tomorrow I will see how I feel when I wake up.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails