This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Friday, March 16, 2018

Coronado and Sierra Vista

The plans for today include visiting another National Park Unit and doing some letterboxing in the area. After getting my things together and having some breakfast I was ready to begin my day. I left Sierra Vista heading south on AZ92 and made my way to Coronado National Memorial. As I entered the park I noticed a car stopped in the road facing my direction. As I got closer I saw why they were stopped. There was a covey of about nine quail crossing the road. I took a few pictures while waiting for them to clear the road. The funny thing was that they were not scared by the cars and took their time crossing. Once they had all left the road I continued my drive to the Visitor Center. The first thing I did at the Visitor Center was to ask the Ranger what kind of quail I had seen. He told me they were Montezuma Quail and that it is rare to see them and that birders come from all over to try and see them. He said they were specific to this area. So I was really lucky to have seen them so easily. Next I got my passport stamps, some postcards and a patch. Then I talked to the Ranger about some hikes and got a map of the park. I also got the Junior Ranger booklet so I could work on that while I was exploring and hiking. I left the Visitor Center and drove up the road, which changed from paved to dirt about half way up, to Montezuma Pass Overlook. From there I hiked to Coronado Peak which provided 360° views of the area. After a short stay at the top I hiked back down and then took Joe's Canyon Trail and hiked about a mile or so then stopped for a break and then turned around and headed back to my car. Then I drove back down the road and made a stop at the parking area for the Cave Trail. I hiked the three quarters of a mile to the cave but didn't go in - I didn't have any flashlights so I wouldn't have been able to see anything. Once back at the car I made my way back to the Visitor Center and then hiked a mile or so on Joe's Canyon Trail from the opposite end of where I was earlier. After my hikes I returned to the Visitor Center and finished working on my Junior Ranger booklet. Then I went and talked with the Ranger about the booklet and got my Junior Ranger badge. I also got a pin for I Hike For Health. I ended up hiking about six miles in the park. Now it was time to leave the park and do a little letterboxing.


So I left Coronado NM and headed back toward Sierra Vista. From AZ92 I turned onto Ramsey Canyon Road and then made my way to Brown Canyon Ranch. Here I looked for Angiosperm:Dicot:Populus fremontii by Desert Flower. This was a quick and easy find and once I had stamped in and replaced the box I spent a little time walking around the place. Then I left the Ranch and headed back into Sierra Vista and took AZ90 to the San Pedro House and the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area. I went on a mile or so hike to find San Pedro River by Azroadie. I had a little trouble finding this one. My compass pointed me about 30° from where I needed to be. But with some persistence and patience I found the box and stamped in. Then I made my way back to my car to make one last stop for the day. I got back on AZ90 and turned onto Moson Road and made my way to Murray Springs Clovis Site. I hiked the loop trail and looked for Stoney Point by Merlin and Ardea. I had trouble finding the interpretive sign mentioned in the clue. So I didn't find the box. And I didn't feel like hiking the loop again. So I returned to my car and decided to call it a day.

My FitBit told me I had walked/hiked eight and a half miles today. I stopped and picked up a sandwich for dinner and then headed to the hotel. After I showered and relaxed for a bit I ate my sandwich, logged in my finds and then wrote this post. Now it is time to get some sleep - tomorrow is event day!


No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails