This blog chronicles my letterboxing adventures. It includes posts that share my travels that are letterboxing related, the letterboxes I have found and planted as well as the people I have met along the way. There are also photos included to help give a complete picture of the fun I had.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Niagara Scenic Parkway Boxes

Today is our first full day in Niagara Falls, NY and it is cloudy, rainy and chilly. We opted out of doing anything that would get us wet and make us cold. So we decided to letterbox along the Niagara Scenic Parkway. So we drove from Niagara Falls up to Youngstown (about 13 miles away) to start looking for boxes. We made our way to the Oakland Rural Cemetery on NY18. Here we looked for two boxes. The first one we looked for was Live Free or Die by J and M Boxhunters. I followed the clues and got to a spot where we were looking for two stumps with a third stump on its side. We didn't see the two stumps. So we just started looking for any stumps and while looking for stumps Thomas found the box out in the open. So while I was stamping in Thomas looked for a spot to hide the box that would go with the clues on AQ. Once I finished stamping in Thomas took the box to a stump on its side and I found two stumps together that would put the third stump behind these two. Then I wrote down the clues so I could notify the placers. Now that we had completed things with this box we went in search for the next box. The clues to this one were spot on and we easily found The Boom of 1812 by White Stallion. I used a large fallen tree as a table to stamp in on and then we rehid the box. Time to head back to Niagara Falls.

For the next box we stopped at Whirlpool State Park. We followed the clues and walked along the Niagara Gorge Rim Trail to some stairs. The stairs took us down to the Whirlpool Rapids Trail. We only had to go a short distance to find Connecticut Yankee in Upstate NY by Celtic Roots. This would have been an easy find except for the number of people that kept passing us on the stairs. Finally there was a break in the traffic and I was able to get the box. I took it down the stairs a short distance to stamp and then when I was done brought it back to its hiding spot. Then we made our way up the stairs and back to our car. Then we headed for the last box on our list.

This box's starting point was the Aquarium of Niagara. We parked and started walking. We crossed the pedestrian bridge and arrived at the Niagara Gorge Discovery Center. From here we followed the Great Gorge Railway Trail and located all of the landmarks to get to Native American Orca by FrogQueen. Unfortunately, we didn't find the box. We searched the entire area and there was nothing. So we decided to call it quits and get something to eat. We were able to find three nice boxes and had a good time - even if it was a little damp. You can read about anything else we did at A Rainy Day in Niagara Falls.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails